1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Physics for the first time

Discussion in 'Science' started by chocolateinuk, Jun 20, 2019.

1. chocolateinuk

chocolateinuk New commenter

Hi all
    I am a maths teacher but will be teaching one class of GCSE physics next year in a FE college.
    I am the only one delivering the course and would like to know if I need to do training in order to deliver the practical and what training would I need.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    C

2. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

A good start is the specification and past papers.

phlogiston likes this.
  3. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I found myself in a similar position about 10 years ago in an international school. I had taught maths for years but because I had a diploma in Physics the school got me to teach the IGCSE physics. I have to say it was fantastic and I really enjoyed it. It is basically really easy maths with fun experiments. The syllabus was also much much smaller than that for maths. I think you will enjoy it. Do every past paper you can find yourself, spend a few evenings in the lab yourself setting up and doing all the required practicals, use youtube for extra practicals. I found it easy and fun compared to teaching maths and I have to say in my first year I got 100% pass rate, the best in the school. (I never got that when I taught the maths). Why because it's easier, smaller and more fun than the maths.

4. christubbs

christubbs New commenter

Hi C,

Firstly buy a copy of the relevant cgp revision guide (the thicker textbook one). Secondly download as many free resources on here as possible. Thirdly go in specification order, fourthly you will need to do every single practical yourself before the students do (butter up the technicians! hope you have a nice one!)

good luck!

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

6. particlezoo

particlezoo New commenter

7. Evertonian

Evertonian New commenter

Yes as above I'd definitely do the two past papers and two specimen papers.

For the practicals always think about risks and use CLEAPSS for guidance (your school should have the log-in). I'd buy a decent textbook, just a student copy, and you'll find plenty online or buy a lab workbook too (I don't like them but they'll be useful to check what you're setting up). Nothing too complicated off the top of my head, maybe some help setting up the standing wave and ripple tank and that sort of thing from a tech at the worst!

8. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

I wonder if you are, at this point, tempted to get a "swank" data logger and set of sensors, or not.

9. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

after the infrared thermometer , etc

10. Orion

Orion New commenter