1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Phonics to year 3

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hel185, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Hi everyone,
    Just wondering if your school teaches phonics to year 3? If so, how long does it usually last? There is no allocated time for it on our timetable but I'm planning to teach it anyway! The year 3 class I'm about to inherit have only just started phase 6 of letters and sounds at the end of year 2. Any advice?

2. Fuzzybrainjo

Fuzzybrainjo New commenter

We are planning to start teaching phonics this year to our year three. 10-25 minutes as a starter in Literacy and for the differentiated sets for english once a week they are going to be concentrating on phonics using sounds write.
    Our view on it was that they need the basics otherwise they can't access the other stuff we are teaching. Although we don't use letters and sounds I would like to move towards this but our school uses the sounds write programme.

3. By yr 3, only the very weakest pupils should still need help with phonics. The Rose report recommended phonics just for the first year of teaching children to read and write, with the emphasis shifting to reading for understanding after that.
    Phonics (in the sense of teaching the main sounds for the 91 main English spellings and the most common ways of spelling the 44 English sounds - as shown in my Nov 2009 blogs) is the easy bit and needs to be accomplished fairly quickly.
    The hard work is learning different pronunciations for identical spellings (laid, said; eat, great; on, only, once) and different spellings for identical sounds (see, sea, secret, ceiling).
    That is not really phonics any more, but simply learning to read and write. If u want to see what this involves in more detail, look at my website. Masha Bell

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We have daily phonics right to Y6 for 20 -30 minsonce children are taught the 44 phonemes in reception it is building up knowledge of how the phonemes are represented in words for spelling (approx 150+ graphemes) so the focus begins to move from phonics for reading to spelling.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If you have an IWB http://www.ks2phonics.org.uk/ has links to phase 6 activities as well as information about using phonics in literacy
    http://www.phonicsinternational.com/
    a really good overview and lots of resources plus assessment materials you might find helpful