1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Phase 2 Phonics ('f' and 'ff')

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by year1109, Nov 9, 2015.

1. year1109

year1109 New commenter

Hi,

i am struggling to think of how I am actually going to get the point across of the difference between words with 'f' and 'ff' in and the easiest way to explain this. My resources are sorted (Jolly Phonics Big Book and Phonics Play games incorporating the two sounds) and then a follow up activity. How would I structure the initial taught part of the session? I was thinking of saying something like although 'f' and 'ff' sound the same, 'ff' has a slightly 'longer' sound and appears in different words (e.g. cuff, puff etc) and then give examples of words with 'f' in. Is this enough or what other explanation can I add? we are going to write the graphemes in the 'air' and I will write the examples of the words on the board. I am a trainee and this is my first Reception taught session. Thanks!

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

To be honest with you I don't point out a difference between these two. I teach 'f' and then, when we are practising reading words, include some containing 'ff'. The children seem to catch on pretty quickly that if they see 'ff' it is basically the same sound as 'f'.

3. year1109

year1109 New commenter

thank you!

4. eromdap

eromdap New commenter

I teach f sound and and action from JP book first, then introduce ff in same session saying it makes same sound and has same action, but is never found at the beginning of a word, usually at end and sometimes in middle (same rule as ck, ll and ss). The chn seem to grasp this quite readily.

5. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

I agree with the PP, I would teach it in the same way.
    It's a bit like teaching th and Th, they do pick it up fairly quickly especially when you are using Jolly Phonics visuals as well.
    Use your instinct while teaching and if they do struggle you can always explain it further if need be but you might find they might not be ready for that yet.