1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching percentages??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by moggycat, Mar 5, 2011.

1. moggycat

moggycat New commenter

<h5>I feel so sad posting this on a Saturday night but I am stressing. I wondered if anyone could recommend a basic game, used on the IWB, that I could use to teach my (very low ability) year 6 class. I just want something that will enable children to, for example, colour in 50%, 25%. 20% etc of a shape and to know how to do this. Perhaps then moving onto finding simple percentages of amounts. I have tried woodlands and topmarks but the stuff on there is quite complicated. Anyone with a good website in mind please let me know. I want to make it fun!! Thank you.</h5>

2. moggycat

moggycat New commenter

<h5>I feel so sad posting this on a Saturday night but I am stressing. I wondered if anyone could recommend a basic game, used on the IWB, that I could use to teach my (very low ability) year 6 class. I just want something that will enable children to, for example, colour in 50%, 25%. 20% etc of a shape and to know how to do this. Perhaps then moving onto finding simple percentages of amounts. I have tried woodlands and topmarks but the stuff on there is quite complicated. Anyone with a good website in mind please let me know. I want to make it fun!! Thank you.</h5>

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/maths/mathsB6b.htm
    try here and se if there is anything
    and try this site as well in the resources..usually some lurking around
    plus plenty of free worksheet sites

4. oldsomeman

http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/resources_ftp/client_ftp/ks2/maths/percentages/index.htm
    http://www.active-maths.co.uk/fractions/whiteboard/fracdec_index.html
    hope this helps
    and rememeber to google

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The BBC skillswise website has some fabulous games. My classes love them. Don't have simple colouring in, but I'm not certain that is the best way to teach % anyway.

There are excellent matching % to decimal or %to fraction games...some very simple.

6. moggycat

moggycat New commenter

Thanks to both for your responses. The reason I asked about the colouring is because sometimes there is a question on the SATS papers, with a shape which is partly coloured in, asking what percentage of this shape is coloured in? I think my class would be very able at answering this if they knew how!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Recognising how much is shaded is a different thing to shading it themselves. Shading themselves requires a lot of wasted time, answering how much is shaded does not.

Does your school have testbase? You could download lots of % questions from there.

8. oldsomeman

simply count the number of bits in the shape say 10..each 1/10 =10 .....3 coloured in = 30 %
    the shapes should be deveisable by 100.....
    If say say shape of 4 then divide 100 by 4,,,,,each section = 25 and then multiply by the number of shapes coloured.

9. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Ah.. the old teaching to the test rears it's head again.... can't blame you though, esp. with a low ability class

10. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

11. moggycat

moggycat New commenter

Well yeah, isn't that what most year 6 teachers are doing when there is only 7 teaching weeks till SATS??