1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching PE

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bigwig2404, May 14, 2011.

1. bigwig2404

bigwig2404 New commenter

I'll be the first to admit I'm not the most sporty! I have a year 5 class who up until recently have had a sports provider delivering the bulk of their PE with me doing dance and gymnastics. I managed these (just). However now I'm going to have to deliver all PE and I'm not great, in fact I'm pretty rubbish. I need to up my game and speedily! Can anyone recommend any good books or resources that might help me improve my rusty skills and plan some decent lessons. We have very limited resources in school and a distinct lack of cash (which is why the outside provider has been cancelled). I am willing to buy a couple of things to help me plan etc but as I will have to pay, I can't affford too much.
    I know this is a tall order but any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. Do you have TOPs cards, the older ones were sports specific e.g. Tennis, Athletics, Football etc. The newer ones are more skills. These would help with ideas of what and how to teach different sports.
    Also peprimary.co.uk has sample plans and Primary resources has planning and ideas for different sports.
    We are part of a sports partnership which has its own plans- can you access your local partnership? What did you do in school before using an outside provider- are there any old plans in school they could be a starting point? Also PE forum can help with ideas for some sports such as rounders.

Hope some of this helps.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My year 6 enjoyed yoga. There is a set of plans on the resources here that are for year 3/4 but worked just as well for year 6 as they'd never done it before, and nor had I.

I also bought some Yoga Pretzels cards from Amazon which were fab for group and individual work on creating sequences.

4. thepinkrachael

thepinkrachael New commenter

Although I teach the younger end, I agree that TOPS can be really helpful especially in getting familiar with what you need to teach and how, and yoga pretzels cards are brilliant!! Can you try and get on some training through school or observe some other teachers as well, I know this can be hard to do, but when I first started my PE teaching was awful because I had no cnofidence and didn't really know where to start, I went ona couple of courses and watched our PE co-ordinator teaching a couple of sessions and felt much more ready afterwards!

5. bigwig2404

bigwig2404 New commenter

Thank you all. Sorry for my delayed response - funny week! I have heard of the TOPs cards so will definitely look into that and I like the idea of Yoga too.
    Will definitely enquire about courses too.