1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching PE occasionally- Uniform Allowance tax relief

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by jubilee, Mar 3, 2012.

  1. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    I have had my application for tax relief on PE kit approved by the Inland revenue. They have increased my tax code for this tax year and the next and I'm to get a rebate of tax for past tax years.
    For all tax years from 2008/09 you can offset £60 against tax (paying £12 less in tax if a 20% taxpayer) and for 2006/07 and 2007/08 you can offset £45 against tax (rebated £9 each year if a 20% taxpayer).
    You msut be able to say that you provide, repair, replace and launder your own kit, needed for work only, and the employer does not provide laundry facilities.
    I work on supply and teach PE sporadically, sometimes a full day and odd lessons at other times on general supply in the Secondary sector. I keep T shirt, jogging trousers, sweatshirt and trainers in the car in case required.
  2. Do you have to be able to provide receipts though? I keep my P.E. kit in the car all the time I'm not using it for teaching P.E. so I don't use it at any other time. But I bought it a while back and won't still have the receipts.
  3. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    No. You don't need receipts. The allowance is nothing to do with the cost of the kit. It's an allowance against tax for having to provide a work uniform and maintain it.
    You might use the same PE kit for years and can claim the tax allowance every tax year for the same uniform.
  4. Well in that case I will definitely claim it. Thank you.

Share This Page