1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching PE in the Swiss Alps!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by bbibbler, Apr 3, 2011.

1. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Do not get your hopes up too much. Working in the alps would be many peoples dream (not mine).

Yours is not a shortage subject so there will be many people after the post. Many schoolw will fill the easier to fill subjects with trailling spaouses and proper teachers who like to run around a bit.

So far you have applied to this school, New York and, I think, Aus. All of these locations will be very popular with UK teachers who have never worked oversea.

My advise, Spread your wings futher, Applly for everything that is posted in your subject area. Get some experience in another subject.

2. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Foamy, the picture in your lounge that keeps changing is called a telivision

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Excellent school. Was once completely British in character but that seems to be slowly changing. Pay is very good, working conditions are also pretty good.
    Unless your partner speaks fluent French they have absolutely no chance of getting a job. All of the ski instructors out there are at least bi-lingual if not tri-lingual ( English, French and Swiss German ).
    Good luck and if there is anything specific you want to know about Switzerland, just ask.

4. Sorry. I don't know how to reply without doing the quote thing.
    If you are an EU citizen getting a permit for your spouse will not be a problem. Given the location of the school though it could be hard, if they are not fluent in the language of the region, to get a job.
    The pensions system etc in Switzerland is excellent and you could have a very professionally fulfilling time.
    If you want information on Switzerland in general then just message me and I will answer anything that you want to know.
    I am not sure which school you are looking at, but some in the Alps are to be avoided.
    Good luck with your search :)

5. Oh. It appears that I do know how to reply without doing the quote thing lol.

6. Have just been reading the messages sent regarding teaching in Swiss International schools. Which school are you discussing? What are the International schools in Zug and Luzern like. It is a non profit school independent school any thoughts? Are there certain schools to avoid? I read that the state schools are a lot better than the private ones?!!! What is the best approach to applying for these types of schools as there are very few advertised in the TES
    Also what is the cost of rent and living etc
    Cheers

7. Have just been reading the messages sent regarding teaching in Swiss
    International schools. Which school are you discussing? What are the
    International schools in Zug and Luzern like. It is a non profit school
    independent school any thoughts? Are there certain schools to avoid? I
    read that the state schools are a lot better than the private ones?!!!
    What is the best approach to applying for these types of schools as
    there are very few advertised in the TES

Also what is the cost of rent and living etc
    Cheers