1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching PE in Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by megancornet10, May 24, 2020.

1. megancornet10

megancornet10 New commenter

Hello, I am a current sports student and researching into teaching in Dubai once I qualify. Does anyone know what the average housing allowance is and what the relocation allowance is? I have heard that they vary between schools but I am unsure. I would appreciate any help on this subject!

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

What have you posted the exact same query twice, but with a different header?

3. megancornet10

I had a technical glitch and the post had not looked as though it was successfully uploaded.

4. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Get your qualifications in order first before asking for housing allowances and salary.

Because in reality... every PE role (director/teacher or HoD) around the world had 100s of applicants. Post Covid-19 where some (emphasis on some) schools have figured out they could do without a Director of Sport completely or hire "interns" to offset costs.... Those applications will do nothing but double.

By the time you finish and the real economic impact of Covid-19 settles in the school's excel sheets... it wouldn't be bold to suggest that you (NQTs) may be sharing accomodation. Some schools already started to do this pre-Covid.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

An NQT in Dubai? Have we heard of this before, I wonder?

desertestrella7 likes this.
  6. taiyah

Spot on @the hippo and it all seems to start with... "I'm not qualified.... yet. But how much money will I get?"

7. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Yes, they vary between schools! The package on offer in any location will generally follow the market conditions but the actual figures will vary from school to school.

8. megancornet10

Thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated. The reason that I was querying the allowance as it was highlighted in the Teacher Training Programme that is open to sports graduates. With an aim to apply to a Teacher Training Programme in the next year, I was trying to research what, and if, it was financially possible as a newly graduated individual. As I graduate this summer, I am trying to research and plan for my future once I am no longer in University.

9. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

10. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

11. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Teaching PE overseas is seen as one of the more popular options. Great weather, well organised leagues and competitions, keen and enthusiastic pupils.
    Teaching PE in Dubai is probably the most popular choice of destinations as the things described above are at the highest level.
    Even at Primary level, standards and expectations are high.
    You are going to find that there is lots of competition for jobs. You will need at least two years of experience as a qualified teacher before a decent school will even look at your application.
    As others have suggested, get your qualifications sorted and experience built up otherwise you may well be disappointed.

12. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

By the way, ignore the pathetic comments like the one which was deleted. They are often made to invoke a response. I really don’t know why people do that - it is just a cheap shot and ironically shows a lack of intelligence or class on their part.

13. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Regards housing allowance, most schools provide accommodation for at least the first two years, and some insist that you continue to take this. Some schools give you an allowance and let you find your own place after a couple of years if you want. Some schools will even let you ‘keep the change’ if you find somewhere which is cheaper than your allowance.
    How much? As others have said, it varies greatly between schools. in the school where I worked, single persons allowance was around 80,000 AED per year (approximately £17,000 a year). Sounds a lot, but it doesn’t buy much as rents are very high.

14. taiyah

Ok. Now it makes sense. From the responses you might have figured out that your topic/question is not new. Your comment above confirmed what I have been suspecting for so long. TTP and other providers are using the bling and £££££ in the Middle-East to hook possible graduates. Wow... Times have certainly changed. Yet, they are not open and honest enough to say the competition is rife!

Sports graduates?? No. Graduates with a formal and recognized teaching qualifications... YES and a must in the UAE and other (not all..... yet) ME destinations.

A reputable school that has changed hands and overall package advertise for "Sport Intern Graduate". But the package is NOT the same as a teacher's lucrative salary and it is shared accommodation... But your TTP provider or university won't tell you that.

15. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

That really is quite low of the recruiters...used car salesmen come to mind...

16. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

The school I worked at cottoned on to the fact that young sports graduates would come to Dubai for relatively little money. They employed 2, gave them a shared apartment and car and a salary of around 9,000 AED. They assisted in lessons and took sports teams.
    It was a good, mutually beneficial, arrangement

17. taiyah

True... We have those in these sand dunes. But it's a far cry from what the OP and graduates are being told or being woodwinked on. You've seen it on different forums.. NQTs stating that "somebody" said they should expect no less than £3000 per month.

The tactics are just.... Appalling. It's a car yard salesman approach.. "I'll give you free floor mats."

18. megancornet10

Thank you all for your advice on the matter. It is much appreciated!