1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching p2/3 for a morning ...

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by TEACHER16, May 9, 2011.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

That is excellent thank you so much :). What would you suggest to do in Literacy...I was thinking phonics...like cvc games, sound games involving sh and ch or is that more p1 level?

2. Hi
    I would have hoped that by this time in P2/3 that the majority would be further on than this, so yes, I think it is definitely more P1 level. What scheme(s) do the school use for Literacy work if any, this should give you a better idea of where they are in this regard.
    B

3. My class love poetry and it is actually very easy to teach. Also the kids can work in pairs/groups etc. The stimulus is important and they always write the best ones if they are based on personal experiences. We have written about favourite things/people/places/events, curricular areas we are working on, outside environment etc. At this stage poetry with a clear structure is easiest so shape poems, haikus, acrostics and list poems work well. On a rainy morning we went outside and explored the rain. We focused on using our senses and brainstormed on our return to class. The children then wrote some great haikus. Last week we did a whole class acrostic poem entitled School and then the children worked in pairs and wrote an acrostic using their partner's name. They always have a lot of fun working on poetry. Hope this helps.