1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Overseas

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by PollyPuddleduck, Oct 19, 2015.

1. PollyPuddleduck

PollyPuddleduck New commenter

I just wanted to pop in here to let you all know that teaching overseas is an amazing experience and something that everyone should look into when they graduate!

I teach in the Middle East- if anyone wants any info, you can email me, my email should be on my shop!

2. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

I'll second that. I'm in Spain teaching Spanish primary children their entire curriculum in an (immersion) English school. Not the best pay package in the world, especially if you are experienced and 'up' the pay spine. So... not too bad if you're early in your career. As PollyPuddle says, it really is a great experience, an ideal way to really get under the skin of a new culture.
    You can get a 'taste' of my life (inside and outside the class) in my blog, check out this 'fire-running' post, for example: http://zenkyumaestro.blogspot.com.es/2015/10/correfoc-run-with-fire.html
    How's that for a foreign culture? I post lots of other photos and videos of cultural events plus tales from inside my class.
    Un cordial saludo. (Yes, I'm even learning the lingo.)
    JJD

3. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

Bear in mind two things.

1. If you head off to greener pastures as soon as you've qualified, and before completing your NQT year, you will find it difficult to secure an NQT post in the UK later on, because schools will be suspicious that you don't have recent experience of UK schools. So you might be closing doors on yourself.

2. In the Middle East, the best schools will only take teachers who have at least two years' experience. The ones that will recruit you fresh off your training course might not deliver everything they promise. I remember one of my NQTs a few years ago who went off to Qatar straight after her NQT year, and fetched up in a school where she had all kinds of problems with visas, work permits and accommodation (which was promised, but didn't materialise).

I'm not saying don't go, I'm just saying that you never know what life has in store and if you want to keep your options open then I'd advise you at least to get your NQT year out of the way before you go.

4. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Bear in mind something else...

...The world is fairly unstable and dangerous place at the moment. Just remember that if you are in an area where trouble really kicks off, being a British/EU citizen does not mean you'll automatically get a safe passage out of there.

Do your research before you consider taking a job.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  5. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

I was going to say all of these things. :)

6. PollyPuddleduck

PollyPuddleduck New commenter

We aren't safe anywhere. I'm in the Middle East and it's fine atm, much of what is seen on the news is just media hype............... the Middle East is actually probably safer than being in UK .. LOL

7. ishamahmood

ishamahmood New commenter

Hi PollyPuddle, I have heard that it would be better for me to complete my NQT year at home in the UK. But I really want to travel to the middle east. I'm nervous and scared, especially going to a place where I don't know anyone or anything. Also I still classify myself as being young and I don't know if I'm ready for this step. How did you take this step? How was the interview process? Are your fights and accommodation (actually being paid for (if this is what your school have stated in your contract?)

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, it probably would be a good idea to do your NQT year in the UK. A year is not really such a very long time.

Having taught in the UK, Kenya, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Romania, Qatar, the UAE and now in China, I would say that teaching overseas is much, much better than teaching in the UK. Yes, international schools do normally provide teachers with accommodation or else you are given a fairly hefty accommodation allowance. Here in China, my present school pays enough for me to rent a pleasant two-bedroomed apartment in the centre of Shenzhen, but schools in Europe do not normally provide an accommodation allowance. Yes, the school also pays for our flights at the beginning and the end of each academic year.

Lots of international teaching jobs are advertised in the TES. Some have interviews in London , some use SKYPE and quite a few have jobfairs in London, in Dubai and elsewhere. My advice to any young (or not-so-young) teacher who is thinking of making the move is quite simple: do your homework. Get on the Internet and check out international recruitment agency sites like TIC and SEARCH and have a poke around on the TES Teaching Overseas forum.

There certainly are some ups and downs to teaching in the Middle East. It is not everyone's cup of tea. Yes, I have done my time in the ME, but there are lots of other places that will provide you with flights, accommodation and a salary. This means that international teachers have some opportunities to travel, to save and to have fun that teachers in the UK do not have. Goodbye Ofsted, crazy UK house prices, Council Tax and lousy weather!

9. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

@PollyPuddleduck is fine now and loving life. If they have not done their NQT year, or are teaching in a poor international school in the Middle East, and as john in Luton states, good ones want experience, you may struggle to get back.

It may not be their intention now, but teaching is a long career. Greatest respect for someone like @the hippobut not everyone is going to do a whole career out abroad. Especially if you have family, partners etc.

Take @PollyPuddleduck advice with a pinch of salt... I wonder whether they are experienced enough to make sweeping statements, or whether their life vision resonates with the average teaching graduate

10. Charr153

Charr153 New commenter

What are everyone's thoughts on doing NQT years in British Schools abroad?