1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching overseas

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by alphabite, Mar 21, 2011.

1. alphabite

alphabite New commenter

I have seen a post in Poland that I am considering applying for. I have never thought about overseas teaching before but now seems like the right time. It is in a city I really like but don't know overly well (I have holidayed there twice).
    I am however completely clueless about how it all works. How can I be sure that the school is a positive one and the move will be a good choice. I have emailed them to ask about pay etc as it isn't mentioned in the ad.
    It is a British internation school so they use the curriculum. I am just a bit muddled. What differences will I find? For those who have made a move overseas I would be grateful for any stories, either positive or negative to help me make my decision.
    Thanks

2. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

PM'ed you

Good luck

3. Poland doesn't come up much on these threads at all. It's not considered a desirable spot, I reckon.
    The serious answer is I wish I could help. I have been once, in winter.... didn't like.
    The slightly witty and possibly tad un PC answer is quite a lot of Polish people seem to prefer England to Poland.

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

The completely un-PC answer would be to ask your plumber.

5. Ooh, Karvol, you are awful....
    [​IMG]

6. FP, I'm thinking about applying to Poland, too. Can you elaborate on what you didn't like about it? Also, is your evaluation based on a particular city, or the country in general? Ta.

7. Sorry, Sidz, I'm no help. I went to a place called Lech in winter. It was like film set to Schindlers List. On the plus (?) side I did get to take a photo of Hitler's favourite building and eat some local food that the 'less than well off eat'.
    As it was supposed to be a part of a 'holiday' it goes down as one of my lower moments.
    Mind you, I found Auckland in July a 'must miss'...
    Good luck, Sidz.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have not been to Poland. But I have been to the Czech Republic six times, Romania (2 years), the Ukraine (my wife is from the Crimea) and we have bought a house in Bulgaria.
    Eastern Europe is an acquired taste, I would say. If you want everything modern, clean and efficient, then go to Switzerland or America. I have seen some real poverty in my travels in this neck of the woods and it is not always pretty. The present downturn in the world economy has only made things worse.