1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching overseas without retraining...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by reesie1979, Dec 20, 2010.

1. reesie1979

reesie1979 New commenter

Hi everyone -
    I am hoping to mine your vast collective experience regarding teaching overseas [​IMG]
    I am a 31-year old primary school teacher with 5 years' experience in a UK school. My qualifications include a 2:1 degree in Psychology plus a Primary PGCE.
    In the past, I have attempted to apply for teaching posts in Canada (Nova Scotia) but they turned me down because they didn't recognise my PGCE (apparently, they only recognise qualifications from specific UK universities!). I have also investigated France and discovered that I would need to retrain to be able to teach there too [​IMG]
    I am therefore trying to find out whether there are any countries (preferably 1st-world as I have two young children!) that I could teach in without completely retraining. I am happy to learn a language or take some training courses but not prepared to redo my degree!
    Ideally, it would be N.America, the Caribbean or Europe.
    Your help and advice is much appreciated!

2. 576

576 Occasional commenter

The Cayman Islands recognise British PGCEs.
    But teaching in the state schools here is no picnic.

3. You can work in international schools in the United States, most countries in Europe and the Caribbean without retraining. In the Caribbean you can also work in the state system.
    In France I think you can work in international schools but not in the state system. A friend of mine is French but did her degree and teacher training in the U.S. and she can't get a job in the French state system either.

4. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Assuming you could get a visa or residence permit New Zealand would accept your qualifications, and it's a great country, as long as you don't mind being so far from that incomparable paradise that is the UK. However, I'm not too sure how many primary vacancies there are. A few years ago, if I remember correctly, it was almost impossible to get a permanent primary post in Christchurch.

The suggestion of international schools is an excellent one, and in the good ones you will find that the kids are a delight to teach.

5. spanboy

spanboy New commenter

For teaching in a <u>state</u> school in any non-English-speaking country (I mean where English isn't considered a first/official language) you would have to be as fluent as a native of that country in order to nail a job - tall order!!
    Since most <u>International </u>schools follow the UK NC - wholly or partly - I would suggest this would be the best option. I presume your PGCE is of the one-year type, part placement, part 'classroom study'? The reason I mention this is I've just been chatting online to an old colleague who is still in the UK but wants to teach abroad. He got his QTS via the GTTP and is finding it difficult to find international schools that will accept this as a valid qualification.
    (If anyone knows any countries where this is an exception I'll pass this info on to him. Thanks)
    International schools all differ in every respect - pay, conditions, pupils etc. - so you have to treat each school on its own merits.
    I wouldn't go back to the UK and don't for one minute regret leaving. But every country has its good/bad points and nowhere is perfect.