1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching overseas ... when to ask about pay?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by littlerussell, Jan 31, 2012.

1. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

Having taught in the UK for 14 years, I am beginning to seriously consider a change of scenery to an overseas position.

Something has been advertised in a school in Europe, which is a promoted post (ie likely to be offered on a permanent basis). It is in a large international school which I had heard of, and I did work with a colleague some years ago (no longer in touch) who had worked there. I have every reason to believe it is regarded as a "premier division" school!

As seems to be the norm, there is no salary or t&cs attached to this post, just an invitation to send a CV and covering letter.

At what stage do I ask about salary? I suspect it may be lower than UK pay scales (although the additional responsibility may help). That's not a problem, but I do need to know that I can live independently on what is being paid.

I don't want to waste time applying if the salary is peanuts, but I'm not sure what the protocol is to enquire? I'm not sure it's going to look good if my first contact with the school is "How much would you pay me?". Also, at what point do I see the t&cs, to make sure there's nothing odd in there that they aren't declaring?

Is it just a leap of blind faith, or are there suitable ways of finding out?

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Apply normally and if they invite you for interview, you ask.

3. Waste hours and hours on the forms etc etec and be prepared to be disappointed. This is standard practice. One school advertisies UK + 30% but doesn't mention that the UK pay scale is capped at £20 a wwk (or thereabouts).

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I never said it doesn't suck. However, asking a school before you even apply how much they are willing to pay is not going to impress ( although it is a rather important consideration ).

5. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

You could join one of the recruiting agencies that has generally reliable information on salaries, benefits etc (Search, ISS, etc). Or you could ask someone who is a member for a little friendly advice. [​IMG]

6. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Brilliant. I've never thought of doing that. UK + 30%, but cap the UK salary. I may review inclusion in my next set of ads.