1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching Overseas when registered

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jacneale, Sep 5, 2017.

  1. jacneale

    jacneale New commenter

    Hey awesome teachers!

    I am a kiwi planning on heading overseas when I am fully registered (at the end of 2018). Not 100% where to go (not the UK as partner not keen). I am just after any advice you have! My key questions atm are:
    -Best places to go? (I am keen on Abu Dhabi but waiting for a ring haha)
    -If I get hired through a company, is there an associated cost?
    -My partner (a swim coach) will be wanting a job too. Are there jobs available through similar platforms or will he have to search when we are wherever we end up?

    I know it is still awhile away, but wanting to start getting my ducks in a row (particularly $$ wise).

    Thank you so much for your time :)
  2. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    this is just my opinion but:

    1. Abu Dhabi maybe 15 years ago was the place to go for cold hard cash and savings potential. NOT any more. there are far far far higher paying places, and a lot nicer places to live (in my opinion). the ME on a whole is not what it used to be, and has more than its fair share of terrible schools. you have to do a lot of research on the schools. look to Asia, and IB schools for the big money schools.

    2. you shouldn't be paying anything to get a job. if someone is asking for money then run away as quickly as you can. most schools are quite happy to advertise on their website. you would have to pay to get on the Search database as you are not a Brit (its free for us), but it is definitely worth it.

    3. most schools are very accommodating about partners that have a usable skill, and they may find a position for them. if you join Search associates you can detail your partners potential on your profile. i would always be mentioning your partner in any communications as they will be a "dependant" and therefore a cost to the school. any decent school should be covering their costs too. this is extremely common in decent schools.

    best of luck
  3. jacneale

    jacneale New commenter

    Thank you so much for your reply. So search associates is a company you recommend using? Will definitely keep the research of schools in mind, I have heard some horror stories!!
    Thanks again
  4. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    Avoid the ME, plenty of more countries around the world to earn more money and the beer is cheaper. Also easier to live with your partner when you are not committing a crime for sex outside of marriage! Also easier for your partner(assuming partner means not married, correct me if I am wrong) to get a job separately and not attached to your work visa and needing the permission of your employer.

    Search the Threads for related post on Living/Working in the UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Using Search Associates to find a job.

    Also pay the fee to join the International Schools Review where the forum is not censored.
    agbak likes this.
  5. rod901

    rod901 New commenter

    Nah not in China. The chinese international schools make millions of dollars a year but they pay peanuts to local staff and they don't pay massively to the expat teachers either. Most are on 30something thousand pounds per year NET plus free accommodation. No one is on fifty thousand pounds NET plus free accommodation in China.
  6. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    Well after a quick check at todays ex-rat 50,000GBP/Year after tax and including accommodation allowance is a middle of the pay deals in Shanghai, some schools pay higher still and some less! Also add flight home and health insurance onto the package. I know of schools that pay 10% more at least but I would have to attend 3 staff meetings a weeks, a fourth meeting to discus the 3 other meetings and I refuse to call someone "MASTER"!
    agbak likes this.
  7. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    musikteech, there are plenty of places that pay that in China. you only need to look for the large schools in Beijing.
  8. rod901

    rod901 New commenter

    accommodation allowance in Shanghai? WHo pays the deposits then? I have free accommodation and international health insurance. I might ask for a pay increase at the start of the 2nd year then if you say you can get 50k after tax although I am not in shanghai but still the school is raking in 8m usD so they should be able to pay more. But they do not pay local teachers much at all because they don't want to pay for meals on site as it's cheaper to eat outside so one of them said,
  9. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    cant speak for China directly, but its VERY common for schools to pay deposits etc for accommodation. the only place i have ever had to pay for anything accommodation wise was Spain, but then we all know how god awful Spain is for benefits....or complete lack of them.
  10. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    In Shanghai you have to pay the deposit yourself, 2 months deposit and 1 month in advance to make it 3 months. That could be 3x10000rmb or aprox 3500GBP. Some schools in Shanghai are offering to provide accommodation or at least the first year, after teachers can decided to move to a new place or continue in the apartment provided.
  11. rod901

    rod901 New commenter

    £3500 upfront plus £1000 flight plus visas means £5000 to get to Shanghai. Teachers must be mentle to pay that kind of money upfront IMO, And I know you wont get your 2 months deposit back. 50k isn't enough then 100k yeh for that kind of risk for me
  12. rod901

    rod901 New commenter

    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2017
  13. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    Why would you think that the cost of the flights and visas are covered by the teacher? They are covered by the school.... well decent schools
  14. rouxx

    rouxx Lead commenter

    4 apartments rented in China over 10 years - Every single one I got my full deposit back. I was lucky, but it simply isn't true to say no one gets the deposit back

    Musikteech is again talking absolute rot!
  15. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    Same here - 4 apartments in China, always had the deposit back. Chinese landlords are petty though, expecting the tenant to pay for anything that would be considered normal wear and tear (or poor construction!) in the UK.

    @february31st you forgot that the agent's fee is half a month's rent as well - so it's 3.5 x rent upfront.

    @dumbbells66 in China they reimburse later on for the flights and visas, so it's a lot of money upfront.
  16. rod901

    rod901 New commenter

    He he he yes they just reimvursed me yesterday 660 pounds. However because I got my z visa in HK, they paid upfront for my visa and flight from HK to china. One teacher here spent 2000 ppunds she said and our apartments are free not 3500 pounds deposit. Like i said, teachers are risking big money to go to China if they have to pay deposits in flats.

    Rouxx nah im nor talk8ng absolute ror. I just lost 500 pounds deposits in the Republic of China because the rule there is 30 days notice and you get ONE deposit back. However my landlord kept both citing electric charges and a dirty sofa and he would send in cleaners even though my GF already cleaned the flat spotlessly. Hes a W%%ker but the rent is cheap in the ROC outside taipei. Plus my prestigious intl school salary and settling in allowance has made up for the shortfall. I still reckon yoyre lucky getting all your deposits back in china.
  17. agbak

    agbak New commenter

    'Master is the latest name for headmasters'
  18. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    Are you being thick, or trying to be clever, or trying to be controversial?
  19. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    No master is the olde name that the Head of Ye Olde Eton school use to give himself in the days of our glorious Victorian past. Here and in other places the principals of the rent-a-name-schools seem to be giving themselves ideas above their station in life by asking to be referred to as MASTER.

    Lets get it straight, just because a schools pays 250USD/Student to a red bricked out house in Surrey doesn't mean you can call yourself Master of a concrete public convenience in Shanghai. The only conection between the two establishments is the bank transfer.

Share This Page