1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching overseas for a short time

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by shareefamussa, Oct 9, 2015.

1. shareefamussa

shareefamussa New commenter

Hi
    I have recently completed my nqt and want to teach abroad! However, I'm a bit wary of going for a long time just in case i won't enjoy it being far away from home. Does anybody know of any websites which advertise posts abroad for a short term :)

Thanks in advance

2. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

In many countries it is very expensive for schools to organise visas, work permits and health checks etc and it is not worth doing for less than 1-2 years.

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Sometimes it helps to try the question in reverse.
    "Hi, I'm a brand new teacher with no experience from Spain/Brazil/Uzbekistan/China. I'd like to teach in the UK, but on a very short term contract. Where are such jobs posted?"

4. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Dear OP, try to get some UK experience first; see the many posts of the subject. It will make your first experience better in so many ways. To be honest, if you have concerns about going overseas, you've answered your own question: you aren't ready for it.

My first experience of an overseas school was a six month maternity post. I'd been out of the classroom a while and had returned from a four year adventure. It was a last minute gig - pack your bags and start within ten days - via an agent though I did have five years of experience behind me which was what appealed to the school, in addition to my immediate availability.

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

What attracts you to teaching abroad? And how short term are you thinking of? I can be hard to live away from home, but a school year is bearable and gives you a sense of achievement at the end, even if it's a tough year emotionally. Shorter than that and you're looking at schools where a teacher has left mid-year (which may be for personal reasons or may be because the school wasn't all that).

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

As usual,some helpful comments from HGF and Kartoshka. I do not think that I have much to add to their wise words, except to say that young (and perhaps some not-so-young) teachers need to bear in mind that hiring an international teacher is usually a lot more expensive and time-consuming. Compared to recruiting teachers for a typical British school in the UK, principals of international schools usually have to work longer and harder to recruit their teaching staff and the financial costs for the school are also higher. Advertising job vacancies, jobfair and interview costs, flights, medical insurance, visas and work permits, accommodation: it all adds up. Therefore many international schools really do not want to recruit anyone on a short-term basis, the only exception being when a teacher becomes unavailable for a sudden and unexpected reason. Given that the teacher's absence has already caused (or is causing) some problems, in this sort of situation the desperate principal will usually want to recruit a safe pair of hands, not an NQT who has no previous international experience. (Yes, of course there may well be exceptions to this scenario, especially if the NQT teaches a shortage subject like Chemistry or Physics.)

Teaching overseas can be a bit of a Pandora's Box. Once you have opened the lid, you may find it impossible to put everything back again. Many teachers think that they will go overseas "for a year or two" and then they never return to teaching in the UK. Or else, like this aged pachyderm, they do indeed return to the UK, find that going back to Blighty was a big mistake and so head off abroad once more.

Having received many messages and e-mails from teachers in the UK who want to leave and move into teaching in international schools, I usually have a wry smile when youngsters talk about "a year or two".