1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching overseas and partners...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by anon1369, May 31, 2011.

1. Yes finding work is my priority but I am also feeling a little bored and in need of a new challenge. I am mainly looking for work within europe particularly cooler countries as I am not a fan of the heat/sunbathing.
    MrCC definitely doesn't want to teach and so he would need a job preferably in his industry and not in a school - this is obviously where the problem is going to lie! I am still applying for jobs in the UK but I am not hopeful to be honest.
    Thanks for your post, I hope things fall into place for me soon!

2. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Hi considering UK and especially London has one of the best graduate employment rates finding work abroad is no safe haven. Spain, the worst, has just released latest unemployment rates of under 25s. 45% up from 42% last year. London is 7%.

As for IT, my old profession, I know of many unemployed Indian IT professionals. All grads with lots of industry experience and certs. That surprised them. Some went home many are hanging on with teacher wives (seems a commonthing I found). I would not want to be a grad in today's world. Getting work abroad usually involves transferring skills to a country that lacks them. What does a raw grad have to offer? For teaching a poor school that wants cheap staff to bully maybe. In IT????

3. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

I can echo the bad news from here in Spain. Very difficult for partners to find work now. We have 'lost' a number of good staff because their partners came with them hoping to pick up something and spent months walking the dog on lonely beaches instead.
    With schools losing children due to crisis-induced belt-tightening, the jobs of the currently employed staff are under threat too. We used to have a guaranteed 2 to 3 form intake. The numbers 'down there' are now down to one class with a lot of spare seats in it. So the future isn't bright.
    Think hard, plan well, the best of luck.