1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching over 50.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ravenscroft2, Mar 9, 2018.

1. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

Because we (over 50) like teaching and the holidays;). I have tried to think on different scenarios but I cannot imagine a better one.

border_walker likes this.
  2. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

High five and total respect

3. Mrsmumbles

Ooh I hate that phrase, ‘put something back’, it’s awful. Do teachers shoplift or something? Does a surgeon ‘put something back’ into the patient’s he’s cutting into? Does a policeman save a criminal and put him back in the community? No. It’s another Newspeak nonesense phrase. Unless @Jolly_Roger12 has been plundering the high seas?!

4. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Mrs Mumbles, I'm hard pressed to think of anything that SLT put back.

5. tenpast7

tenpast7 New commenter

They put back stress and misery.

6. Mrsmumbles

@David Getling ...I’m not...they put back my panic attacks and gave me extra organ failures too! Sooooo generous of them. Very giving. In fact, their gift keeps on giving, according to my GP.

woollani and catbefriender like this.
  7. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 New commenter

Having worked as a TA in several secondary schools, over the years I have supported in hundreds of different classes so have witnessed teaching styles and methods of many varying aged teachers. I can honestly say that the older, more experienced nearly always have better class control, subject knowledge and presence. The younger, cheaper teachers which now abound and are employed in preference to older, more expensive teachers are so intent on being 'friends' with the students and using trendy teaching methods which often do not result in much learning happening, discipline and respect go out of the window. Maybe their own education lacked discipline and rigour so they don't know any better (or any other way). Give me a 50 plus teacher who can maintain discipline over a youngster any day!

galerider123, hammie and tenpast7 like this.
  8. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

I have thought this for a long time. The only conclusion that I can come to is that they don't even want those young things for more than a few years. Use 'em up, wear 'em out, and chuck 'em out.

9. border_walker

border_walker Occasional commenter

That was the policy of one technology college that I knew well from sometimeago. The problem was that, although this worked for them as there was an endless supply, once this became rolled out as the norm in a lot of schools it can nolonger be sustained. I suspect that this has been rolled out by many because "experts" have been paid to advise, and they have sold their way, but haven't really thought out the consequences.

i recall a talk from a member of the SMT from an academy, who was on the how to improve circuit, he more or less said that you, as a teacher, sould be prepared to work to midnight every night or get out of teaching. It is those that sold this idea that should now be held to account.

10. catbefriender

catbefriender Occasional commenter

Exactly. Older people, no matter how fit they are haven't got the physical resilience of the younger teaching staff and this is the factor that puts them off employing us. The amount of timetabling that requires a classroom change EVERY lesson because the planners aren't intelligent or creative or bothered to come up with alternatives.

In order for oldies to work in schools, schools will have to adapt their environments, management structures, management styles and timetabling to accommodate our needs. Schools don't want to adapt and remember the lesson from evolutionary theory is: adapt or die.

Mrsmumbles and woollani like this.
  11. catbefriender

@border_walker The truth is, if schools were to adapto tto the needs of the older worker, it would support everyone. Whenever I am in school, because I have a disability, I have a lift key and I see young teachers stating, 'I feel guilty using the lift, I should really be using the stairs.' And I say to them, 'No, you should conserve your physical energy which will give you more intellectual energy for teaching'

There is too much emphasis on being seen running around like a headless chicken, rushing through corridors, running up stairs taking three steps at a time, coming in uber early, staying uber late. Working through lunchtime - Give it a rest!

hammie, Mrsmumbles and galerider123 like this.
  12. Catgirl1964

Young newbies are seen by schools as more compliant. Their response to what might be seen by older, wiser colleagues as unreasonable demands is ' how high?' They wish to please and perhaps do not know any better.

blazer and catbefriender like this.
  13. tenpast7

tenpast7 New commenter

It is possible to be over 50, healthy and still able to adapt. The only disability that over 50's have in Teaching is that they are seen as expensive and probably cynical about the latest Educational B.S. that everyone pretends is GREAT/ SUPER and doesn't jump on to the bandwagon.

phlogiston, blazer, hammie and 2 others like this.
  14. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

Probably cynical about the latest Educational B.S. That hits the mail on the head.

blazer and hammie like this.
  15. Catgirl1964

Younger teachers often spout their own BS!

16. catbefriender

I suppose it depends on the environment. In some of these new builds I am totally bionic and need no help and return home with energy, there are lifts everywhere and the doors have that electro magnetic thing which means as soon as you attempt to open them, they move swiftly in the direction you want etc. But in some schools, it is a fortress and getting to the lifts is as difficult as getting up the stairs and all the doors are so heavy and ALL the teachers are suffering from too much excessive movement, muscle strain and are completely exhausted by the end of the week.

There is a local school that is perfect build for me. I did some Intervention there and it's the best school building I have ever been in BUT they are kicking out the over 50s faster than you can imagine. I find that schools with the MOST disability adaptions have the MOST younger staff and the schools with the zero disability adaptations i.e. not enough lifts, lifts that don't go to all floors, heavy doors, stairs, stairs and more stairs etc. have older exhausted teachers.

Because nicer swanky school buildings attract younger staff.

woollani likes this.
  17. Mrsmumbles

Sad but right! Ironically, oldies ARE adapting and, as they have always done if they’ve been in the teaching game over twenty years, they acaquire new skills. Many are online teachers now, offering a one to one quality provision that kids and parents live and which the cruddy academies just cannot replicate on an industrial scale. Well, on any scale, actually...

18. Mrsmumbles

So....normal, then?!

19. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

I've seen so many bad examples set by over 50 teachers that I hope to do better when I get there in a wee while.

It's such a drain on a school when you have these greatly experienced colleagues using their experience to snipe, whinge, undermine and defy the will of their leaders. There are always reasons for this behaviour, but there's no justification for it.

20. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

Are you suggesting that age has something to do with this?
    Well, perhaps older people have less patience to deal with BS, but if your older staff are thinking and feeling a certain way, the chances are that most of the staff are feeling the same (assuming that they are all being treated equally, which is not always the case). If nobody says anything, you get an emperor' new clothes scenario.
    In this case you have such a situation, as discontent is being relieved in a passive- aggressive way rather than in a proactive problem solving way. This is indicative of lack of confidence that leadership is listening, or will listen.
    Even with good leadership there are constant changes in education, and one way that many people deal with this is by grumbling about it (even if they accept the change readily) because change involves more effort in a pressurised workplace where there is already much to do and think about. There is a big difference between whinging about something and actually defying it.
    And, honestly, some things that go on in schools these days need questioning.
    My experience is that over 50s are no different to under 50s in this respect, and if anything are more likely to be discreet with what they say in public places, as they have managed to survive political minefields in their places of work as long as they have, and as they are more likely to be part of management it would be career suicide to go around doing it, and just generally would make no sense.