1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching over 50.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ravenscroft2, Mar 9, 2018.

1. ravenscroft2

ravenscroft2 New commenter

When I turned 50, after 25 years of teaching and record of excellent pastoral care of pupils and ' good to outstanding' lesson observations, I was made redundant. I am now an on-line teacher, supporting students in China. The children are keen, polite and engaged. Why would any one want to commit to a grim working environment, constant unrealistic expectations and high levels of stress in the state sector British system?
    I do invite other teachers to join the on-line revolution.

2. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

It's hardly news though, is it.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

how do you sign up? Would it work well combined with a bit of day to day supply? With my experience regarded as useless by too many fast track whizz kids it is sounding very attractive.

BetterNow and gud4age like this.
  4. catbefriender

catbefriender Occasional commenter

Congratulations on finding a sustainable means of employment. I have for a long time been moaning about ageism in teacher recruitment and how at the first sign of a grey hair, you are ousted.

I hope you continue to thrive. Your Chinese students are blessed to have you.

Best wishes

Cat

Shedman and gud4age like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm over 50 and still going......just

lanokia, Mrsmumbles, Shedman and 3 others like this.
  6. Jolly_Roger12

Jolly_Roger12 Occasional commenter

Congratulations on successfully coming out on the other side o redundancy, @ravenscroft2! You have managed to do something that many of us wish we could. As @hammie and @catbefriender have said, many of us have had to resign ourselves to remaining on the scrapheap.:(

gud4age likes this.
  7. gud4age

gud4age New commenter

over 50 and completely tired out ,young staff think am nuts and past it I reckon .

madman_with_a_box likes this.
  8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Am 50 and like my job (independent school, though)....

drvs and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  9. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

What about trying to get a job at thereabouts in age?

“Oh yes, you have sooo much experience, we can see you’d be brilliant, but this 25 year old just happens to have the subject expertise we need in X,Y or Z”

“Well, why wasn’t that essential in the person spec and why did you even interview me, then...?”

10. madman_with_a_box

madman_with_a_box New commenter

This is me. Still love the actual teaching part, but all of the associated claptrap leaves me worn out and fed up. Can't afford to retire though, so I'll keep plodding on for as long as I'm allowed to.

11. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

But don't assume it's your age making you feel this way. Most teachers I work with seem to feel the same, whatever their age! It's mentally exhausting because you can work for hours in your own time and not get any recognition for it, as well as that feeling that the job is NEVER done. Each year when a new class start it's back to square one. Psychologically it's tough. At least as parents we get to see the children grow and develop and the result of your hard work and effort is there, as a reminder of your investment of time and love. In school the children just move along the conveyer belt and you start again.

12. h001

h001 New commenter

How does one get into online teaching?

13. catbefriender

@Jolly_Roger12 I certainly don't consider myself resigned to to remaining on the scrapheap because although I understand other's limited perspectives of me, I refuse to think them for myself.

I did a lot of research prior to becoming over 50 into employment for women over 50 and the research shows that the majority of women over 50 are self employed. I know a few women who after redundancies have set up daycare facilities in their own homes and two who have set up bakery businesses in their own kitchens. The situation for over 50 men is slightly better in terms of getting PAYE employment, but employment these days, regardless of your age is a lot tougher than it was in the 80s and 90s.

Online tutoring doesn't rock my boat unfortunately. Prefer to get out and go to work. The work from home thing makes me feel claustrophobic.

Alice K and JohnJCazorla like this.
  14. Jolly_Roger12

Sorry, @catbefriender; I worded my posting poorly. I admire your spirit. I suppose I had unrealistic expectations when I was offloaded from teaching. I have tried just about everything I can think of as alternative employment but nothing doing. The thing that really got under my skin was being rejected by agencies and schools, except if I gave my services for free. Being made to feel your services are worth less than nothing I find very depressing.

15. catbefriender

@Jolly_Roger12 You have to stop putting yourself forward for agencies and schools, that is what I have done as repeatedly applying for jobs meant I was becoming a glutton for punishment. Had another offer of 'free' work last week with high risk of failing GCSE sets and now I am just putting SLTs in touch with Teach First.

I told them a mate of mine is saving up to do this programme and will have to money in a few weeks. Remember if you can scam the scammers, they have no time to scam anyone else.

Schools that want teachers for free, an organisation that charge £600 to get teachers to work for free are a marriage made in heaven.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  16. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Occasional commenter

Just to put a counter-argument, I have been surprised by how much work is out there. None of it is the regular nine-to-five, but I have the luxury of being able to live on my pension, just about. I find that general attitudes to teachers has altered and most people recognise how demanding it is, so retired teachers are seen as grafters. I wouldn't advise continuing to teach, but go for something else. I do a fair bit of exam administration and invigilation at university and professional level as well as exam marking. With several other little jobs, I pick up £6000 per year net and have plenty of time to go on holiday and relax.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I know that when I decide to retire there will be plenty of other things to do.

Quite looking forward to it really.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  18. Jolly_Roger12

@catbefriender: You are right, of course. I should chasing moonbeams, as it only makes me miserable and resentful. I am sorry that you have been on the receiving end yet another offer to 'put something back'. Good for you for playing these leaches at their own game.

@eljefeb90: I am pleased to hear that the gloom is not universal. I have tried all the avenues you have suggested, without success; either I get no response, or the usual offer to 'get further, valuable experience by working in a voluntary capacity'.

tonymars likes this.
  19. catbefriender

@Jolly_Roger1 on the contrary, I can't want for those unpaid offers now, because I just want the excited SLTs to ring Teach First tell them that they have it on good authority that a mug is struggling to save up to work for them for free as they are in the same borough. Oh, utter bliss!

It's great for them to apply themselves to something and get ABSOLUTELY nothing in return.

After a few weeks, when nothing happens, we'll see if any of them revert back to me.

tosh740 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  20. Jolly_Roger12

I like your thinking, @catbefriender. The biter bitten. Not only is it the 'offers' of unpaid work that annoy me, it is the reactions when I turn them down, such as:

1. "I'm sorry you feel like that. I'm offering you a great opportunity to kick-start your career."
    2. "You're on a pension, aren't you? Our budget is very tight." (This often from n expensively suited man whose desk is cluttered with executive toys.)
    3. "I thought you would appreciate an opportunity to 'put something back'."

emerald52 and Mrsmumbles like this.