1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Other Subjects

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by misscerdd, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Hi.
    I'm currently a Music NQT and I was just wondering what advice people have about applying for jobs where they ask for more than one subject (eg. Music and Drama) when you do not have any experience in that subject?
    Thanks.

2. Hi.
    I'm currently a Music NQT and I was just wondering what advice people have about applying for jobs where they ask for more than one subject (eg. Music and Drama) when you do not have any experience in that subject?
    Thanks.

3. Goaliesash

Goaliesash New commenter

Hi,
    My job was originally advertised as a Teacher of Maths/Economics. I wasn't sure whether to go for it as I'm a maths teacher and my only Economics experience was an A-Level many years ago.
    On the advice of Theo, I went for it anyway and got it! No one else at the interview had any more experience than me, and I was given lots of guidance from the Head of Economics through my first year teaching it. Luckily, due to a restructure, I wasn't required to teach Economics after that first year so now I'm 100% maths!
    I think you have to be upfront and honest - I didn't try to bluff in the interview that I knew more than I did, but I said that I was willing to learn.
    Hope that helps,
    Sasha

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Agree with Goalieash, don't lie, but highlight your subject knowledge and say how you see how that could link with for example drama and say you'd be willing to learn. In my LA these 2 subjects are often linked within a department.

5. Thank you for your advice. This will really help when/if a job comes up like that. I think it's what let me down on a previous application.