1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching options after PGCE...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by pauloross90, May 23, 2011.

1. Hey guys, I know there is hundreds of topics like this one but ive not been able to fully pull the information that I would like from all of them. Hopefully a few experienced teachers out there will be able to give me some advice.

Im 21 and Ive just finished a postgraduate BSc Geography course (3 years full time) and will start a PGCE in Geography for Secondary Education this September. Basically im just trying to weigh up my options for when I finish the PGCE to see how many possible doors their are open for me.

OPTION 1: I could complete my NQT year asap in England after finishing.

OPTION 2: I could take a year out, travel, then come back to complete my NQT year in England a year later seeing that there is no time deadline between completing the NQT year and finishing the PGCE.

OPTION 3: I could move back to my home country of Northern Ireland and complete my 'induction year' there? Is this possible or does the induction year have to be completed within England? If I were to complete my 'NQT' year in England, how could I teach in Northern Ireland at a later date? Is my PGCE & NQT qualifications valid at home without doing another induction year in Northern Ireland?

OPTION 4: I could complete my NQT year asap in England after finishing and then move to Australia for a few years?
    On Australia's Visa Bureau site it states that you must:

*Have completed study comparable to at least a 4 year full-time tertiary level qualification in Australia (THAT WOULD BE MY 3 YEAR BSC GEOGRAPHY DEGREE?)

*Have completed at least 1 year of full-time tertiary level pre-service professional teaching studies related to your nominated teaching occupation included in your studies. Appropriate studies include theoretical and practical subjects with a clear relation to initial teacher education (THAT WOULD BE THE PGCE?)

*Have completed at least 6 weeks of supervised teaching practice related to your nominated teaching occupation. You must include evidence of this with your application (THAT WOULD BE MY NQT YEAR?)

*Be currently qualified and/or licensed to teach in the country where you obtained your qualifications or where you are currently teaching. You must provide written evidence from an appropriate official teacher licensing or employment authority from the country where you obtained your teaching qualifications or from the country where you are currently teaching (THAT WOULD BE MY NQT YEAR?)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated if at all possible guys.

2. desertestrella7

desertestrella7 New commenter

I can sympathise with the 'crazy chemist' as I retrained at the grand old age of 40 based on the Scottish government's total lack of forecasting skills. In Scotland you automatically get your NQT year to get you registered as a qualified teacher with the GTCS. I don't know how it works in England / N.I. though.

However, if you really want to do this, then do it. It's all doom and gloom at home but not so in the international teaching world. I am now working in Kuwait as a secondary languages teacher, and have managed to pay off my debt in 8 months. I miss home but when I was your age I spent 5 years in Spain teaching English, partying and went back home with about £200 in my pocket!

Look into where you can get your NQT year done - N.I. or England, but I am working in an international environment with teachers of all ages from all over the world. As long as you are British qualified you will stand a great chance of finding something outside of the UK... (sadly!). People move on faster out here, to other countries, schools and move up the ladder if they want or experience other countries & cultures.

I regretted going into teaching when I was struggling for supply at home and stressing over how I would pay my mortgage, but I don't regret it now - these kids deserve good international teachers and you wouldn't regret it either, I am sure. You sound like a bit of an adventurer so my advice is just go for it!

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

When I was teaching in the UAE, a colleague who taught Chemistry told me that he was often receiving e-mails and phone calls from schools all over the world, all wanting him to come and teach Chemistry.
    A recent article in the TES about more than a thousand applications for 25 jobs has confirmed what I have already heard from other sources: the jobmarket for teachers in the UK is very bad indeed and it is probably going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Therefore the real choice, for many teachers, is not between teaching in the UK or teaching overseas. No, the choice is between teaching overseas or being unemployed.