1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching opposing views of creation sensitively

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sunscorch, Mar 4, 2012.

1. I don't really think you should look at the scientific explanation for the origin of the universe/planet/life in an RE lesson. To equate centuries of research with a mythological explanation is a disservice.
    I would focus on alternative religious explanations; some of the ancient myths can be awe-inspiringly beautiful. Just be clear that the stories are what people choose to believe, and none of them are any more true than any other.

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Why should evolution be taught sensitively in order not to upset creationists yet the creation can be taught without worry of offending those who hold a more scientific view?
    Although thinking about it, I might well have answered my own question there.
    I think it's important to understand that it's the parents you're concerned with, OP, not the children. I don't personally believe that primary aged children are capable of forming their own religious beliefs yet.

3. I talked about both points of view (creation story and Darwin's theory) with my class and had some brilliant discussions with my Y5s. They were fascinated and loved discussing it and I told them that no-one could tell them what to believe. I kept it pretty simple and recorded it by writing: 'Christians believe...' and drawing a picture, then 'I believe...' and drawing a picture. I then kept my marking comments pretty bland by putting things like: 'Well done, you have explained your beliefs in detail' or something like that.

4. You need to be aware that many Christians do not believe Genesis to be literally true. It is regarded as a poetic version of the origin of the world and the species. It is possible to believe in God as the creator without denying evolution.

5. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

Ideologically, this:
    However, in reality, teaching evolution in R.E. is really just a way of being antagonistic. It seems to be the only part of religion people are happy attacking, when it should be taught for what it is: a particular set of beliefs.
    This is a better approach imho. Compare beliefs between religions, but don't fall into the trap of comparing a set of beliefs with a scientific theory. Rightly or wrongly Christians will still believe in creationism and that's what the children need to understand.

6. Thank you everyone, I feel much better about this. It is all in the way that the subject is introduced, isn't it. We will approach it as...
    Some people believe that...
    Other people believe that... Etc.
    I think I'm just being a paranoid NQT at risk of succumbing to parental pressure if I'm not careful! You've shown me that I was rtight to stick to what I thought. i'm quite looking forward to some interesting discussions; the children always have far better ideas than me!!
    Hope everybody has a nice week. Thank you again x

7. This.