1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching only what your degree is in???

Discussion in 'US – Staffroom' started by autumnmuse80, Dec 15, 2019.

1. autumnmuse80

autumnmuse80 New commenter

As I read through a couple of posts, I came across a discussion stating that you can only teach what your degree is in. Well, my under grad is in Speech Communications and my masters is in Educational Leadership. I currently teach and is certified in ESL. So, even with my 12 years of teaching experience, credentials and certification, I can only teach Speech??

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

In the UK you qualify as a 'teacher' regardless of your degree. Obviously most teachers of older kids expect to be teaching their subject but once in a school you can be deployed as the school sees fit.

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

In the UK, a qualified teacher can be asked to teach anything at all. I think you are reading about international schools, not because the schools impose it, but because of the terms of visas in some countries

4. alendra

alendra New commenter

In Scotland (currently part of the UK), the rules are slightly different. You have to have a certain percentage of your undergrad degree in the subject you wish to teach. The GTCS will only register you for that subject (or subjects). You will not be expected (or in fact permitted in many cases) to teach outside your subject. If you want to teach more subjects, you'll probably need to do additional study in them. There is some opportunity to gain registration whilst teaching the subject, but not many schools will take the chance on letting you teach a completely unfamiliar subject area.

5. samooogra

samooogra New commenter

that depends on a country. There are many programs in Asia where you can become an English teacher as long as you are a native speaker and it doesn't matter what your major is
    As to the USA, you dn't need a degree in education to become a teacher. Virtually every state offers alternate routes to certification explicitly designed with you in mind. But you will need a teaching license or teaching credential, if you want to teach in a public school. As to the private ones, that depends on their internal rules. So some private, charter and not-for-profit schools don’t require applicants to have a teaching degree or hold state licensure

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2020