1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching online and in person simultaneously.

Discussion in 'Independent' started by CabbageWhite20, Aug 23, 2020.

1. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

We are certain to be doing this as some pupils remain overseas or quarantine. The real stumbling block is that the pupils who are in the classroom will not have laptops, they will be working on paper and this won’t change for at least a term. We taught like this for some of last term and it wasn’t something that felt particularly sustainable but it is what it is.
    I’m not sure what I am looking for in posting this. Commiseration?

needabreak likes this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Commiserations to you, it will be complex.

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

No, there will be tactics. I’ve always taught with one or two on laptops. They had them for specific reasons. Ok, so they can’t do the discussion, but you should have high expectations. Specifically refer to them and try to differentiate for them. They will appreciate it. Also, tell the rest of the class how important it is that they see the online kids as part of the community.

bishbashbosh3 likes this.
  4. CabbageWhite20

I usually have a couple on laptops but still in the room.

I have a few ideas to keep things inclusive:

Provided everyone is ok to be on camera (they were before) online kids can be projected on the board and my camera can face the class for discussion so they can see the other and all participate (I’ll probably have to repeat what’s said - I am not sure what the sound quality will be). I’m also considering having a spare laptop in front of a pupil who is in the room and joining the meeting on it so they (and hopefully their neighbours despite distancing) can interact with the kids who are online. We are sanitising keyboards anyway.

My main stress is juggling the online meetings with the in classroom changeovers (teachers are wiping down desks) as well as the whole most of the group on paper/a group working electronically planning muddle.

This had an end date when we did it before. Open ended feels very daunting.

needabreak likes this.
  5. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

The biggest issue I have found is sound quality. How do you make yourself sound clear to both those in the room, and those joining online?

6. CabbageWhite20

ideally a wireless mic I suppose. I doubt I’ll have that. It’s going to be trial and error and a steep learning curve I suspect.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We did this before summer and it is hard. Hopefully all ours will be back in September. (Fingers crossed.)

A laptop on your desk for you to teach to/with. Use the whiteboard on Teams and share your screen, etc. Then project on to the large wb in the classroom for those in school to see. Sort of, do what you did before, but have the large wb for those in school.

Turn cameras and sound off at change over time and encourage those at home to have a break away from the screen.

It's a different kind of teaching, as you stay in one place for most of the lesson, but once you get used to it, it's fine. The workload involved in teaching like this all day and finding time to mark the online and in school stuff is what's really hard.

needabreak likes this.
  8. CabbageWhite20

The laptop on desk approach was what we did before the summer too. I’m hoping we’ll have a better setup than that if it’s longer term because otherwise sound for pupils at home will not be good unless (even if?) the classroom is totally silent. Also you really need to look at the laptop camera for those who are online, but actually you should also be making eye contact in the classroom. A camera that is higher up and proper mic would be much better.

I can project work onto the board in school while sharing my screen with pupils at home. The pain is that while the ones not in the room can then complete the work online, the ones in school will need to do it all on paper. I’m going to need to find ways to make this work that aren’t creating two versions of the same resources.

I am sure it will be ok and I’m grateful for all replies. I’m just wallowing in dissatisfaction at the whole situation right now!

9. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Surely it would be better to do it all online (or at least only have in the pupils who really can't be at home). I'm talking secondary/college here, of course. You can do lots of good teaching that way, without sound quality being a problem.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We aren't a rich private school...laptop on a pile of books and a microphone bought with our own money had to suffice. :(
    Having said that, parents didn't complain about sound quality at all.
    The vast majority of your pupils will have a printer, so can you upload the resource for them and print for the class? Or, for textbook work, give out the books in class and use a visualiser or take a photo of the page for those at home?
    I'm a bit out of practice of what people in senior years do these days.
    I don't blame you...going back to the blended learning would make me have a great strop as well. And senior pupils/teachers appear to be far more at risk than those of us who moved to teach little ones. I would be fed up about going back in your position as well.

11. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I’m with those who say put a laptop on a desk as if it is a pupil. We have to stay front centred anyway. An omnidirectional mic might be better for the room.