1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching on RAF/Army bases abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by bernadette29, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Has anyone got any advice or knowledge about teaching on UK military bases abroad? I'd like to know where the jobs are advertised and what it's like. I'm a primary school teacher in the UK at the moment. Thanks.

2. If you look on the Service Children's Education (SCE)website, that tells you all about teaching in service schools abroad. If you can get a teaching post via them the pay and conditions are good.If you cannot get a job via the SCE and if you live in the country as a 'dependent', you may be able to get locally employed status which means that you will not get pension rights, housing rights, etc and you would treated as temporary staff.
    Service life is generally very sociable, but be prepared to mix with your pupils' parents out of school, you may be living in the same road as most of them! The military are also quite involved in the school,often having representatives from different ranks on the governing bodies. Schools will expect teachers to be very understanding of the situations Army families/children are in. Military schools are also high transit ones..will be lots of pupils in and out at different times in the school year. Opportunites for travel and social life are great. Hope this helps.

3. Thank you, that's very helpful.

4. Hi Bernadette,

I start a new job on an army base in 2 weeks! I found it was best to look at the TES adverts rather than the SCE site as they tended to appear there a week or so earlier.

5. Thanks. I'm keeping an eye out for jobs in the TES too. Good luck in your new job!

6. Hi Chili_B, hows your job going, as i am interested in this field also.