1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching on pain meds

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Bmackender, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Bmackender

Bmackender New commenter

hi,
    I developed a spontaneous neck issue (trapezoid) over night on Sunday. I am unable to move my neck or turn my head. I went to the doctors today and they prescribed me diazepam and cocodemol and I am to take them until it is resolved.
    I took today off and have taken off tomorrow but the stress of being off work makes me feel even more unwell.
    I am considering not finishing the diazepam so I can go back to work on Wednesday regardless.
    What would you recommend I do?
    Thanks in advance.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I recommend you go back to work and work until you drop.
    Obviously!

Nobody listens to doctors. They talk a load of rubbish! They know nothing. So your neck's a bit stiff? Big deal. I once went to work with two broken legs and pneumonia. Never did ME any harm.

caress, suem75, bajan and 7 others like this.
  3. Bmackender

Bmackender New commenter

Genuinely how I feel people want me to feel

agathamorse likes this.
  4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Take what your doctor told you to. If that means you're not fit to work, don't work. And that includes setting work - the school will just have to sort it, and you should not be worrying about it.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

when you are well enough to work then go in. Until then, don't. Personally, I would not have a problem with helping out by setting work if you are up to it. You don't have to, but we used to do it when we could. However, I think I would be reluctant to do so it I was told to.

It concerns me that being off work causes you such stress. Were you already struggling with stress before this happened?

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What does "how people want you to feel" have to do with anything? I'm sure people would be more than happy for you to cream-cracker yourself. Maybe even give them your earnings? That's not going to happen. Other people are irrelevant to the case of a person with a neck in spasm who is having to take a lot of medication until it's sorted. At what stage did your GP ask you what your colleagues would think of you?

7. Bmackender

Bmackender New commenter

Struggling with stress is the wrong term - I was very stressed and go through peaks and troughs of feeling pretty awful.
    I have been setting my cover work today between naps because the medication makes me feel completely out of it xxx

8. Bmackender

Bmackender New commenter

She didn’t..... I’m just not very good at taking care of myself and often go in when I’m not feeling better because I feel like people are put out when I’m not there and a burden xxx

9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

If you go in when you're not better, you will relapse and be off again.

ilovesooty, phlogiston and Bmackender like this.
  10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Is it safe to drive/cycle etc to work whilst on these pills?

11. Bmackender

Bmackender New commenter

No. But I live walking distance from work :) Xxx

12. FrankWolley

That's one problem solved then (though carrying books etc.;)?). But if you aren't able to drive whilst on them, I do (seriously) wonder whether you are fit to teach... Personally I don't think I would be working for a few days if in the same situation.

13. Bmackender

Bmackender New commenter

Which is the point my fiancé has raised today..... but cover is such a pain and people always talk about you when you’re not there xxx

14. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Hi @Bmackender It’s up to you. I’ve worked when taking citalopram and gabapentin (at different times for different reasons). I personally felt less efficient because my thinking process slowed down but no-one else noticed. I was also once given 2mg diazepam on an ‘as and when’ basis. I took it one day and was so what I dopey that I got confused about my timetable and let my students go 20 mins earlier (luckily they were my more sensible students). After that, I only take ibuprofen and paracetamol during the day and only take co-codamol in the evening as I want to be fully focused when dealing with my students (I have learned mindfulness techniques to work with my pain so that I can carry on without further strain). I agree with the others that it’s up to you as you best know your body and what you can do with it. It sounds to me though like you need some time off to recover rather than going back to work before you’re ready. I know what you mean about why you do this as I feel the same when I have to slow down but I’ve learned the hard way that health comes first.

Hope this helps and that your neck improves soon!

UpperPayShelf and agathamorse like this.
  15. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

I do not know about diazepam/valium but I have to take CoCodamol on occasion to manage pain.

I do not think it is a good idea to try to teach when on them, they are really quite strong and send me to sleep but prior to that you are not really fit to teach as you can be very dopey and not quire "there".

On a plus side the dreams can be pretty far out.....

agathamorse and ATfan like this.
  16. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

That’s their problem. They’d talk even more if they had to permanently cover for you if you had to leave due to ill health. As I said, go with what your body says.

17. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

That’s their problem. They’d talk even more if they had to permanently cover for you if you had to leave due to ill health. As I said, go with what your body says. Sorry if this message appears twice btw. My phone went funny as I posted it.

UpperPayShelf likes this.
  18. Bmackender

Bmackender New commenter

I’m on the diazepam and with the cocodemol it makes me feel so damn sleepy and like Luna Lovegood...... thank you and I’m doing my best to get it better! Xxx

ATfan likes this.
  19. Bmackender

Bmackender New commenter

That’s ok! Thank you for your reply - I know deep down you’re right but I hate not workfing xxx

ATfan likes this.
  20. FrankWolley

Gossip isn't a good reason to go to work when not well. And cover is easier to do than teaching, IMHO.