1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching offer in Doha, Qatar

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by chris_uel, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Hi all.

I am in a confused state. I was very excited to recently receive a teaching offer from a school in Doha, Qatar after a telephone call from the head of the primary. I have been offered a package of 12,000QR a month (roughly £2100), a one bedroom apartment with utilities paid (not phone or net) and one annual flight (I would have to pay for my wife to get there which they will arrange and I pay back in instalments). There is no transport allowance.

I am currently on M6 on the payscale, I have 8 years experience teaching. Am I selling myself short?

I have been researching Doha and the schools there and I get mixed reviews. I am not willing to disclose the name of the particular school but it is classed as an international school but with a high majority of local children attending there.

Is it worth negotiating? I have not signed anything yet and have agreed in principal pending on a few bits of information.

Any advice at all would be gratefully received. Many thanks.

2. Hi all.

I am in a confused state. I was very excited to recently receive a teaching offer from a school in Doha, Qatar after a telephone call from the head of the primary. I have been offered a package of 12,000QR a month (roughly £2100), a one bedroom apartment with utilities paid (not phone or net) and one annual flight (I would have to pay for my wife to get there which they will arrange and I pay back in instalments). There is no transport allowance.

I am currently on M6 on the payscale, I have 8 years experience teaching. Am I selling myself short?

I have been researching Doha and the schools there and I get mixed reviews. I am not willing to disclose the name of the particular school but it is classed as an international school but with a high majority of local children attending there.

Is it worth negotiating? I have not signed anything yet and have agreed in principal pending on a few bits of information.

Any advice at all would be gratefully received. Many thanks.

3. Sounds like quite a good deal. 12000 is fair. Congratulations!

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

This business of comparing salaries in the ME with salaries in the UK is hopelessly misleading, confusing and muddled. Simply comparing the salaries is only a small part of the picture.
    For a start, some teachers will find that taking up an overseas post will give them the chance to rent out their flat or house in the UK. Straight away, that is, in effect, a substantial difference to your "balance of payments". When I was teaching in Kenya, I remember several teachers telling me that they were better off in Kenya, even though the salary was lower, because being at the B**** School meant that they could get someone else to pay most (if not all) of their mortgage.
    Secondly, most people in the UK do not realise just how many taxes there are. Of course there are the obvious ones, such as Income Tax and Council Tax, but there are plenty of others as well. Moving to a country where there are no taxes (well, I've never discovered any!) will also make a significant difference to your finances.
    Thirdly, there is a big difference between someone who pops over to the ME for a term or two and then gets clobbered by the Great British Taxman on their return and someone who becomes "non-resident for the purposes of taxation" and stays overseas for several years. The OP did not mention the time factor. Also the set-up costs for moving to a new country can be rather higher than you first thought. Often the school's shipping allowance and relocation payments do not cover the full cost of the move.
    Fourthly, bills for utitlities in the UK are getting higher all the time, whereas most schools in the ME offer free accommodation and also pay your bills for water and electricity. There is also the little matter of the cost of petrol. A teacher friend of mine in the UK pays about two hundred pounds a month on petrol, whereas here in Qatar a litre of petrol still costs less than one riyal. That's about 20p. In the UK, even parking your car isn't cheap any more, whereas it's nearly always free to park your car here in Doha. As for Car Tax, aka Vehicle Excise Duty, there isn't any.

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

It's a decent deal, and if you've agreed in principle, it's time to sign, not to negotiate.
    Not the best deal, but by far not the worst.
    Welcome to Doha!

6. the hippo

Yes, gulfgolf, I would go along with that. There are plenty of unemployed teachers in the UK that would jump at the chance.
    Marhaba, as they say in this part of the world.

7. First of all, thank you all for the responses. It has put
    My mind at ease.

The contract is for 2 years. As for shipping, I am bringing my clothes. I currently live at my mums. Long story to that one but it is to help her out financially. As for driving, I am not sure about that yet. I hear that it can be quite aggressive!

8. the hippo

I am so pleased that your mind has been put at ease, chris_uel.
    "Aggressive" is one word that could be used to describe the driving in Doha, but perhaps there are others. You can always try walking (not much fun when the temperature is over 40C) or else you might be able to find a taxi. On the other hand, you might not.
    Perhaps some schools in the Middle East are not resourced quite as well as some of us would wish them to be and therefore it might make sense to bring one or two teaching resources with you, as well as your clothes, chris_uel. No, you won't be able to buy any teaching resources in Qatar because (a) you won't have a car and (b) you don't know where to buy them anyway, even if you did have some wheels and (c) the Qatari owner of the school does not believe in silly, unislamic, "western" things like "staff budgets". Ditto NOCs.
    The famous "resources order" will probably go out in April or May and then the teaching resources that have been ordered from the UK might perhaps turn up in Doha (inshallah) for the start of the following year, but that is going to be a fat lot of use if you arrive in September and then you have to wait for more than a year. On the other hand, they might get stuck in Customs, in which case they won't arrive before the following Christmas. Another possibility is that the Qatari owner of the school might decide to save some money by taking a pair of scissors to the order and cutting out the teaching resources you need for Year 6 Purple, without bothering to tell you.
    Welcome to Doha!

9. Hi chris_uel,

Congratulations on this offer.

Could you give some hints/tips on how you went about applying for this role?

[​IMG]