1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching numeracy and literacy in reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by skills324, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If we are splitting hairs it's not an equal balance either

2. Msz,

I have to agree with you on this one. Child initiated play is all about the children leading with their interests. If they are linited to choosing what they can access then there's no real room to let their imagination go wild. Sometimes you have to grab a child really engaged in something they have chosen and develop it to get those experiences for CLL, PSED and MD etc. There needs to be opportunities for the child to spend a lot of time focussing on something they really enjoy and then an adult can extend them. For instance- I had a boy who randomly started designing a space rocket- so then we helped to label it, then build it with junk, paint it, modify it, built it on a large scale outside, take photos of it, print these photos out and then make a book. All of this wouldnt have happened if I'd given this particular boy no room to explore. This only happened recently and most of the time he is on the computer or outside- but now he has seen exactly what he can do he is using more of the classroom areas.

And, I'm sorry mrst1985- but just because OFSTED didnt mind what was happening does definateky not mean that its the best way to work. There is always a place for children to do adult led activities and there's nothing wrong with setting opportunities up for children to explore but there needs to be 'regular' (I'd say daily) opps for children to play and we follow.

3. Did the boy 'explore' or was he helped along to do all those things?

I really find all of this debate about CI pretty ludicrous. You can argue things from all perspectives to make it look the greatest thing since sliced bread - or the opposite!

Anyway, I didn't intend to butt in about CI so I apologise. I just wanted to mention to people new to Reception to get their free resources from unit 1 of Phonics International.

The best access to a newly built 'unit 1' page is through www.syntheticphonics.com .

4. I'm not quite sure why it's turned into a debate either - what works for one set of people doesn't work for another!!!

5. The reason I mentioned OfSTED was because it was mentioned in post 14 that what I was doing was "wrong" and would be regarded as such by OfSTED!!

"A self initiated activity is an activity wholly decided on by the child itself and is the result of an intrinsic motivation to explore a project, or express an idea. In doing this they may make use of a variety of resources and demonstrate a complex range of knowledge, skills and understanding."

This definition is from the NAA and is likely to be the one used by OFSTED for inspection purposes.

6. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

To go back to the original question, we have 3 timetabled sessions of CLL and MD each week in addition to workshop choices (and phonics which is a separate daily session).

My timetable is:

9 welcome and phonics
    930 freeflow
    1030 tidy and recall
    11 input and activity (CLL, MD, PE or ICT)

After lunch we have reading and a story. There is an input and activity/freeflow.

The CLL and MD learning intentions are based on a rotation of ELGs and a story is usually used as a starting point for the activity. I have 3 levels of differentiation for my class of 30 for both CLL and MD.

7. Leapyearbaby,

Do you use a story in connection with KUW?? I struggle to find stories connected to our topics - do you have whole-school topics too??

8. Plan from the early learning goals then supplement it with NC objectives if you have very able kids.

I HATE PROFILES WITH EVERY SHRED OF MY BEING, but the early learning goals will give you a starting point. And you will very quickly realise what your kids need and where they are - have confidence in your abilities as a teacher!

I promise you, you will be absolutely fine and will have a great time!!!! (just ignore the moderators and the EY advisers!) Good luck!

9. I love that attitude salleriano - "just ignore them" hehe!!

No I'm not keen on the profile, but we use it as an assessment tool for reports etc, so kinda hard to ignore!!!

Any more tips?

10. Msz and lucyking22 can i ask how you structure your day and plan for Adult focused tasks? Would you take groups to do particular inputs eg phonics? If so, how do you avoid taking children away from CI tasks as as you say they may be deeply involved in something at the moment you want to work with their group?

Thanks - just trying to see how best to plan a day and get good AI and CI learning taking place.

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Our day is changing in September but this is the planned timetable
    8.45 self registration
    8.50- 9.05 phonics (whole class or key groups)
    9.05-11.05 CIL/AIL/AFL (free flow indoor and outdoor)
    11.05-11.15 tidy up
    11.15 -11.30 story/songs/circle time
    11.30 - 11.45 phonics (whole class or key groups)
    11.45 - 1.15 lunch
    1.15-1.30 numeracy (whole class carpet)
    1.30 -2.45 CIL/AIL/AFL
    2.45- 2.55 tidy up
    2.55 - 3.10 story/songs/circle time
    3.10 prayers
    3.15 home

I don't have set groups for adult focused tasks so if children are deeply involved in their own learning then they are not usually asked to leave until they are ready to move on. Occasionally children need to come and complete an adult focused task but know they can return as soon as they have completed the activity. By knowing the children it is possible to target children to work with adults before they choose another activity so giving them the rest of the session to work on their own or with an adult.
    We don't attend whole school assemblies unless it is something that will interest the children and we don't have playtimes so no interruptions to the day.

12. Thanks Msz :)

13. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

We have a nice little set of red books (sorry, at home now, so can't get to them) which are really good for the science bit of KUW. I recently used one called "Ladybird Hunt" and there is another one about welly boot prints. But there are lots of books where you can take out snippets. Eg I used "Crocodile's Sore Tooth" as a starting point for part of a keeping healthy activity. You don't have to use a book, it's just nice to have a context to introduce something.

My children really like the "Numberline Lane" stories for maths, although there are obviously a gazillion books and poems to use for MD.

14. skills324

skills324 New commenter

Stitchy1

Who are you and how would we know each other?

Rich

15. Can anyone give me their plans for literacy for reception class as i am getting confused between teaching literacy and numeracy everyday to reception class, doing daily plans for 5 days of the week and record their work in books. any help/advice would be great. please post it on my email adress annu_kumari@hotmail.com

16. I am also going to go into reception without previous experience of teaching literacy at that level.Do you have any tips?