1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching numeracy and literacy in reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by skills324, Jul 5, 2008.

1. skills324

skills324 New commenter

Hi Im moving into reception in september from KS 2. I have no training or expereince of KS1 or indeed foundation stage. Altough i'm looking forward to the challenge, i am very nervous. Im unsure of where to even start with planning for numeracy and literacy and how it works in recption compared to KS2. This year with the new framework ive used the 100 literacy and numeracy hours, so through that ive followed the new strategy, but for reception there isn't a resources like this for the new framework anyway- so how do i plan. Im in a one form entry school so won't be working alongside anyone.

Any help and suggestions greatly appreciated

Rich

2. skills324

skills324 New commenter

Hi Im moving into reception in september from KS 2. I have no training or expereince of KS1 or indeed foundation stage. Altough i'm looking forward to the challenge, i am very nervous. Im unsure of where to even start with planning for numeracy and literacy and how it works in recption compared to KS2. This year with the new framework ive used the 100 literacy and numeracy hours, so through that ive followed the new strategy, but for reception there isn't a resources like this for the new framework anyway- so how do i plan. Im in a one form entry school so won't be working alongside anyone.

Any help and suggestions greatly appreciated

Rich

3. Hamilton trust do some Reception literayc and numeracy plans to give you an idea.

I tend to choose my 6 books that relate to the 1/2 term topic - Ourselves so will start with My body then go on to Handas surprise ect. I am at a school in ISP so even though in foundation still must do literacy numeracy adnguided readign every day for a session not through out the day as some school do.
    This leaves the afternoon for PE, ICT and other areas art, KUW RE PHSCE ect

Hope this helps

4. Dont make your timetable too rigid - the new framework is all about being flexible and having the understanding that the children need to initiate their own learning a lot of the time. On a typical day this would be my timetable:

* 8:30 - children come into the classroom and choose a book, we then do register and go down to assembly.
    * 9:00 - Numeracy/PSRN - I do a 15/20 minute introduction to what I want the children to do (ie. with weight my task would be - looking at several objects, which objects will be the heaviest, which will be the lightest, how do we know this/how could we measure this, can the children estimate how many cubes each of the objects weigh?? Then I let the children choose from their "I can choose boards", then I would either sit with a group using the equipment or I would leave out the things for the children to use themselves.
    *10:00 - playtime
    *10:15 - fruit and milk
    *10:30 - phonics, using jolly phonics scheme, we learn 3 new sounds a week, then spend the rest of the time practicing the other sounds.
    *11:00 - Literacy - This week we are looking at traditional tales, so I am going to read a story to the children - I am then going to enter into a question asking sessions, where I would ask the children what they can remember from the story, chracters, events etc. (this usually takes 20/25 minutes, but this will depend on what kind of activity they are doing as a class), then I would either lead a group or I would talk to individuals. Then I let the children choose from their "I can choose boards", then I would either sit with a group using the equipment or I would leave out the things for the children to use themselves (as with PSRN).
    *12:00 - lunch
    *1:15 - register
    *1:30 - KUW - this is usually when we fit in our topic time. At the moment we are loking at the Olympics, I am trying to tell/teach the children a fact about the Olympics every day and put it onto our Olympics display - I have a story all about the Olympics, so I am reading a chapter every day, then we do a practical task - next week we are looking at how many times the children can....(hop, skip, bike etc) in a minute, so this would be either monitored by me or the TA. The rest of the children will be choosing from their "I can choose... boards".

The most impotant thing to remember is that the children are doing an equal share of all areas of their curriculum and that you give them the opportunity to explore what they will be doing in lessons - the children will learn a lot if they aare choosing to learn about it themselves.

I hope this helps you - if you need anything else let me know, just email me!!!

mrst1985@hotmail.co.uk

5. mrst - can you explain your "I can choose boards" for me, thanks.

6. The children are in 4 groups - by colours (green, red, yellow, blue). Every day there are 4 different self-choice activites that the children can choose from on their board and they rotate every day - then on a Friday they can choose whatever they like.

For example:
    Red - role play, numeracy table, playdough, sand
    Yellow - water, mark making, literacy table, train set
    Green - outside area, messy table, construction, reading corner
    Blue - outside area, painting eisel, table top (puzzles etc), small world

Then every day the four activities rotate, so the children get chance to do all of them. I try to make sure that the children stick to what is on their board, as they are tinkers for not doing so!! Ha.

I hope that makes sense!

7. Mrst, do your children have any Child Initiated Play?

8. Thanks mrst :)

9. Yeah - they do that when they have their I can choose time!!!!

10. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

So do they only have child Initiated on a Friday.

11. skills324/Rich

I was in the same position last year, you really do learn as you go along.... I never thought I would know what I was doing but have realised that the more relaxed you are the better things are for yourself and the children.Wish I had known that in September though. I worried that there were no 100 lessons for anyth, but that is because you don't need them - FS allows you to plan in a much more creative and flexible way. Have a feeling we may know each other- maybe wrong, but if so...you are welcome to all of my stuff from this year- not saying its great but is a starting point and more than I had in September!!!

12. Mrst, but if they have to choose from 4 activities is it truly CI Play?

13. Stitchy1 please could I have a look at wat you have done this year? I would really appreciate it. jo@handmade-4u.com

14. No - they have CI everyday - but somewhere you need to draw the line somewhere to stop children doing the same thing everyday. Changing their 4 activities everyday they will then (usually) access different areas of the curriculum. If we didn't have it like this then all the boys would always be outside on the bikes arguing about who was on it first and we would have all the girls colouring in! This way the children are experiencing all areas of the classroom. Also means that there are not 28 children wanting to go on the bikes!!!

Well yeah it is CI - because they are choosing!! Then on a Friday it is COMPLETELY their choice!

15. Msz

Msz Established commenter

mrst1985 sorry but if you are "drawing the line" then you have no CIL. Young children sometimes need to do the same thing every day for a period of time because this is how they learn and make sense of the world.

"A self initiated activity is an activity wholly decided on by the child itself and is the result of an intrinsic motivation to explore a project, or express an idea. In doing this they may make use of a variety of resources and demonstrate a complex range of knowledge, skills and understanding."

This definition is from the NAA and is likely to be the one used by OFSTED for inspection purposes.

It is not truly CIL when adults
    set an agenda or suggest what children are to do
    send children to a particular area
    limit what they can use
    organise groups to "play" together
    limit the time children can spend in an area
    rotate groups around provision

When children are initiating their own learning:
    they decide where to go
    what to do within boundaries of expectations of behaviour
    who to collaborate with
    how long to be there within the boundaries of the day

16. Well doing it in this way was not a problem for OfSTED last term!!! It has been done like this at my school for a while now!! The only one of those that we don't do is give them a choice of EVERYTHING in the classroom. We don't tell them who they can/can't play with.

I thought we had to also provie the children with varied experiences and education??? If we let them decide to colour in all the time/build train tracks all the time they are not getting this!!! They are then not receiving a fulfilled curriculum!!!! The children still have the freedom of choice and there is some leway in it, in that if a child comes up and ask "Can I play in the role-play area?" then tht is fine!!!! It seems the point of education is lost here!!!

17. Msz

Because they are playing with the train tracks every day doesn't mean that they are only learning one thing from the experience. The activity can be literacy (Use language to imagine and recreate roles and experiences Use talk to organise, sequence and clarify thinking, ideas, feelings and events, Interact with others, negotiating plans and activities and taking turns in conversation, Extend their vocabulary, exploring the meanings and sounds of new words) PSRN (Use language such as greater, smaller, heavier or lighter to compare quantities Talk about, recognise and recreate simple patterns Use language such as circle or bigger to describe the shape and size of solids and flat shapes Use everyday words to describe position, Use mathematical ideas and methods to solve practical problems,Use language such as more and less to compare two numbers,Count reliably up to 10 everyday objects) KUW (Look closely at similarities, differences, patterns and change Ask questions about why things happen and how things work, Build and construct with a wide range of objects, selecting appropriate resources and adapting where necessary,Find out about their environment and talk about those features they like and dislike) PD (Show an awareness of space, of themselves and of others, Handle tools, objects, construction and malleable materials safely and with increasing control,Use a range of small and large equipment) CD (Express and communicate their ideas, thoughts and feelings by using a widening range of materials, suitable tools, imaginative and role play, movement, designing and making ) PSED (Maintain attention, concentrate and sit quietly when appropriate,Select and use activities and resources independently, Work as part of a group or class, taking turns and sharing fairly, understand that there needs to be agreed values and codes of behaviour for groups of people, including adults and children to work together harmoniously, Form good relationships with adults and peers)

18. Nevermind - it works for us and nothing has been said to say that we are 'doing it wrong' as you say!!!

19. Msz

I didn't say you were doing it wrong only that there is no CIL if you limit choice.

20. FRIDAY - that's all I'm going to say!!! It's not structured and it's not adult led or decided upon what the children do!!!