1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching notation

Discussion in 'Music' started by Tessama, May 1, 2011.

1. I am currently conducting some research into the teaching of music notation in the UK as part of a Masters degree. If you can spare a couple of minutes to fill in this online survey you would be helping me out considerably. All responses will be anonymous.
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ND8XC7F

2. I am currently conducting some research into the teaching of music notation in the UK as part of a Masters degree. If you can spare a couple of minutes to fill in this online survey you would be helping me out considerably. All responses will be anonymous.
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ND8XC7F

3. saxo07

saxo07 New commenter

Done!

4. Thanks!

5. Done!

6. Hi,

i'm currently doing a PGCE and my CDA focus is developing the transition from sound to symbol - teaching notation but I'm really struggling to find any articles post 1995 that will be recent enough to support my argument. If you know of any decent articles or journals and can point me in the right direction I'd be so gratful.

Many Thanks,

Jahan

7. Have any of you out there got some ideas about how to teach notation at KS3? I'm still going with the MA research and I was wondering what different approaches people had.

8. I know I seem to be on here a lot asking for people to complete surveys and things but this really will be the last time...
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3XZ32M6
    If anyone has a few spare minutes and would like to contrinute to my research project you'll earn a virtual gold star. [*]

9. My only addition to anything is to use Kodaly and Dalcroze methods to teach music notation through singing and movement. As an adult I have done both and they really are fantastic ways of teaching notation - usually starting with quite young children but I recently completed an adult musicianship class where there was a total non reader who after 9 months was confidently reading off a stave.

10. done - happy to help! hope the MA goes well!

11. Rather a poorly designed questionaire. I'd of expected better from a first term PGCE student, it's certainly not useful for an MA. Also it has no section at the end to add additional comments because the person completing it feels you haven't asked the right questions.

Most importantly, you haven't defined notation! Are you just asking about stave notation or any form?
    You haven't asked which forms of notation are more useful.
    Do all pupils need to be taught the same forms of notation? For some it will be very useful to begin working with alto clef, but a complete waste of time for most.
    You could have asked how everyone 'weights' the balance between various aspects of notation. For example in KS3 I'll concentrate mainly on pitch and ignore rhythm. Why? If pupils are learning a new tune they need to know the notes and the rhythm will 'instinctively' be correct (I'm sure I'll get shot down for that one!) if they have heard how the tune goes.
    How is notation useful, and for who for. Does the average KS3 pupil, who doesn't play an instrument and will drop the subject at GCSE, need all the finer details of notation? Or should it just be an extra 'tool' to help them make music in the classroom (whether performing or composing) more efficiently?

Also in this thread and in the questionnaire you haven't demonstrated that you have any ideas yourself.
    If you post your ideas I'm sure everyone would be far more willing to contribute.

12. You are not in any way obliged to take part in my research but thank you for taking the time to give feedback.

13. @Trad. Not sure I agree with some of your points. Both of the Q's that I filled in, it was clear what sort of notation we were being asked about. Certainly don't agree with the Alto Clef comment! What are you thinking there? The rhythm . . . well, it needs to be understood eventually, as do time signatures - but rhythm is for many students a much harder thing to interpret from notation than pitch is (mainly becuase they can scrawl the pitches on the music over the notes). However, I make students sing their parts and clap the rhythm of their parts, often with other parts being clapped and sung at the same time so you are right to say that rhythm is better picked up aurally (not "instinctively"). Aural learning is very much undervalued in some quarters, don't you think. I thought previous comments about Delacroze (Sp?) etc were timely.
    I do agree that the fine details are probably wasted on the majority of non-instrumentalists.
    Finally, the whole point of a questionaire is to get other's thoughts - if you pre-loaded your quizlings with your own ideas you are likely to skew the results one way or another. I do think, however, that the questionaire was a little basic - there are so many aspects and details to this subject.

14. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Tut, very poor trad.

How is notation useful, <u>and for whom</u>?

I'd have expected better from a first term Year 10 pupil.

15. dropje

dropje New commenter

take it easy Trad, the questionnaire is fine for initial MA research (being an MA student myself). Isn't wonderful to sit back and criticise, criticise, criticise....It's blatantly obvious what s/he is after. I also like to teach rhythm as they learn a song. Teaching it exclusively doesn't make the connection in my experience.

16. brookey1970

brookey1970 New commenter

Yes, there is no reason to criticise the survey publicly. Why not PM if you have issues? By the way, trad: your use of 'of' instead of 'have' at the start of your message is very poor. My 8 year old son was able to correct it when I showed it to him. Darn! Now I'm doing it.

17. Also the sentence that begins with a conjunction!

18. brookey1970

brookey1970 New commenter

So does that!

19. Oooh! Handbags!! Can't we all just post nicely?? Surely this is a place for others to help and give advice rather than pick in a franckly meaningless way??

20. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Lol.