1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching not for me?! - just need to get it off my chest

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ralf103, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I've been thinking for a while now that teaching prehaps isn't for me. I'm in my last year of a BE.d programme - I love the theory, I love working with children but hte workload scares me. I've had brilliant teachers over the last four year placements but they all seem really worn out and overworked. I look at them and just think that I don't want that to be me. I know that some might think I'm sounding lazy but I just don't feel I can give my all to teaching. As I say I love working in schools but the workload at the end of the day really puts me off, when I'm on placement I get home start work then go to bed at about midnight and I just think - where's my life gone. On placement I can cope because I know it will only last X number of weeks.
    I stubled across a job near me in a National Trust property as a learning assistant and thought that sounded so perfect, working with the children, working in 'learning' but without so much of the stress. I have a aprt time retail job and love that when the doors close at the end of the day I can go home and not have lodes more work to do. I'm 100% committed to finshing my course and trying my best at it but after that I just think maybe I should look at other areas. What do people think? Are there any success stories out there of people doing a simialr thing and finding a fab new career? I absolutley don't mind working hard but I think prehaps I needer better / stricter boundaries for home vs work.
    I've spoken it through with my parents and they seem a bit supportive but I think they just feel I'm having a bit of a 'wobble' and that they might actually be really dissapointed if I didn't become a teacher.

I know this is a really long ramble with not much for people to reply too but I just want to be able to get some constructive ideas/ talk as I'm a bit all over at the moment.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

After a dreadful NQT year I now teach part time at Uni and love it! There are lots of things you can do x

3. I feel quite the same way... and I think the job you're looking at sounds like a brilliant idea!

4. If it's not for you, then it's not for you. I will say though that my student teaching placements were always a lot harder than any of my teaching jobs have been, which is probably a bad introduction to teaching[​IMG] Good luck in whatever decision you make.

5. Your situation is similar to mine. It was so strange reading your post - it's as if you've written exactly what I'm thinking! I'm in third year of the BEd in Scotland just now and like you, I really enjoy the theory etc at uni and have had fantastic placement experiences but just don't think the actual job of 'primary teacher' is right for me. Again, I don't want to sound lazy, I constanstly work hard, but when it comes to being an actual teacher I want to be able to go home and forget about work for the day - something I know will NOT happen working as a primary teacher!

I start a placement in two weeks and, although I'm looking forward to it, the slight feeling of dread I have right now is sort of confirming to me that I'm not doing the right thing.

I've tried to research other careers that I could go into; the idea of working with children but without the workload and responsibility of a teacher really appeals to me. Something like the National Trust job you mentioned sounds amazing! Like you, I'm 100% committed to completing the course but I'm unsure about whether the job of primary teacher is right for me.

Just looking for any success stories of people in similar positions!

6. SarahJayne66

SarahJayne66 New commenter

Hi
    Thats how I feel too, I am on final placement now, and my school are really nice, but I'm rubbish at the paperwork. I'm good at the teaching side of it, but never have anytime with my husband or children. I don't think I want to be a teacher (primary) and the pressure is on at uni too- what with my disertation to think about.

I spend all my time- planning, or getting my head around assessments, my standards folder isn't up to scratch, the list seems endless. Everyone tells me i'll be fine, but thats not how I feel, thing for me is I have the added pressure of my family being really proud of me so I feel that I can't fail.
    Thanks for letting me ramble on

7. I feel exactly the same, I'm a scottish PGDE student (Primary) and I've had amazing placements with really supportive staff members and I love working with the kids. I just find the constant need to be 'on' challenging, sometimes I switch off which I know is a bad sign.

The workload also scares me. I've broken into tears several times at home and at school because of pure stress. Luckily my HT and CT were willing to sit with me and have a chat about how I felt. They were relieved as they felt I had been 'off' during my placement and hadn't quite figured out what was going on. They both felt I perhaps wasn't ready to go into my probation year but are willing to help me as much as possible.

Right now I'm trying to finish the course and seem positive. But the idea of going into my probation year fills me with absolute dread. I don't think I have the 'love' for teaching everyone always goes on about, and hearing teacher friends tell me it's all 'worth it' doesn't sit right with me.

I'm very confused right now. :-(