1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Non-Fiction / Reading for GCSE

Discussion in 'English' started by dylan83, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Any advice on how to approach this? I'm teaching the WJEC Language spec to a weak C/D borderline group, and I'm an NQT. All I'm doing so far is working through the text book (and for the writing unit too), but it's extraordinarily dull. The kids are quite disengaged and I'm having to work really hard to get them to do much.
    Thanks - Dylan

2. Any advice on how to approach this? I'm teaching the WJEC Language spec to a weak C/D borderline group, and I'm an NQT. All I'm doing so far is working through the text book (and for the writing unit too), but it's extraordinarily dull. The kids are quite disengaged and I'm having to work really hard to get them to do much.
    Thanks - Dylan

3. There was a good resource I used with my bottom set Y10s, and I'm sure I got it from here. It was an advertising SOW that involved looking at existing advertising and then redesigning a chocolate bar campaign - giving the product a new name, wrapper and slogan, etc. I also had them filming an ad for it, parodying the M&S food ads. The kids really enjoyed it and they learnt a lot about presentational and linguistic devices, but in a really engaging way.

4. The textbooks are good for getting to know the exams but lessons tend to be more effective when based around the AO. Look at the Devon Curriculum Services website - they have some lesson plans 'Skills based Approach to teaching English' which I have found very useful. Hope this helps.

5. RaymondSoltysek

RaymondSoltysek New commenter