1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching new subject in new school....

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Chemteacher01, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Chemteacher01

Chemteacher01 New commenter

Hi all,

I new a new profile due to my actual name being linked to my old account, so I am a long time member of this community.

Anyway... I currently teach overseas and teach GCSE Science and A-Level Biology AND Chemistry. I have taken a new position in a school and start in Term 3 (Southern Hemisphere, so that is July). As I am starting mid-year, in the first instance I have been told I am teaching GCSE Maths and not science (contract does state Maths/Science). My knowledge of Maths is pretty strong so I am not really worried about the content, I am just not as passionate about Maths as I am about Science.

I am wondering the following:

1. Do you think it's unreasonable if I speak to the Head when I start about teaching science the following academic year?

2. Is this a good career move, having experience teaching Maths as well as Chemistry?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

2. 576

576 Established commenter

I did the same thing, moving schools and changing subjects.

1. I would leave it till they start talking about recruitment and timetabling for the next year and bring it up then. Hopefully by then you'll have had a chance to prove yourself and they will be keen to keep you and therefore more likely to be agreeable.

2. Absolutely, the more strings to your bow the better.