1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Networks - Free CPD and research

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by jlisaw8, Jan 6, 2020.

?

How do you teach networks?

1. Presentations

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Analogies and role play

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Binary Boxes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Simulation software (such as packet tracer)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jlisaw8

jlisaw8 New commenter

Teaching about networks can be dry and theory-heavy.

Analogies and role-play, although useful to start with, can develop misconceptions which are hard to overcome.

Rather than powerpoints and rote learning - help learners construct their own understanding of transmission, protocols and networks. Use Binary Boxes to explore transmission and discover protocols and Packet Tracer to use, modify and create simulations of networks.

A day of free CPD provided by Queen Mary University of London at London CLC. Funded by the Mayor of London and Institute of Coding.

We will loan you the Binary Boxes to try out in class, and teachers from previous courses have developed and will share lesson plans. The course also includes careers activities on networks and computing and an opportunity for an industry professional to visit your class to talk about working in IT.

Our work is part of a research project reviewing the different ways that computing can be taught and what pedagogies are useful.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/teaching-networks-ks3-ks5-tickets-84186683637

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

I once taught token ring networks by taking a class into the playground, arranged them in circles, gave one student a piece of paper who could then talk to the rest of the network, then passed the paper to another student who could then talk and so on.
    Bus network was every student passing their own coloured pieces of paper along the network.
    Star network was passing their coloured pieces of paper to the router in the centre which then passed out the paper to its correct destination.
    I have not done this for years but I would be happy to do it tomorrow.

3. jlisaw8

jlisaw8 New commenter

In our course we use binary boxes to help learners construct their own understanding of transmission and protocols. We also introduce simulation software, so that teachers can see how students can build their own virtual networks. I like the idea of physical creation of networks with paper passing too! I'll suggest it in the course. We start by asking teachers how they teach networks now... and discuss the problems with analogies etc.

It's a great course. We'd love to sell out! Free too ;) Funded by the Mayor of London and Institute of Coding (Student Office).

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/teaching-networks-ks3-ks5-tickets-84186683637

4. jackmiller5623

jackmiller5623 New commenter

DMG files are the MAC OS image files. It can replace older .img files. These files normally contain program installation files for mac os apps. And they are also used to hold different compressed files.
    For more information, visit file extension dmg windows 7.