1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching music "musically" - what makes a good lesson?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Xanathar, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Recent threads have got me thinking about the best approach to music lessons. Most musicians seem to agree that music should be taught "musically" but what exactly does that mean?

When teaching a KS3 secondary comprehensive class of mixed ability pupils, what is the best approach?

What is the purpose of teaching music? What is the goal?

What is the best way to incorporate composing/performing/listening into a lesson? In what ratios?

Ultimately, what makes a good music lesson?

What is the relative importance of each of the following. Are any to be avoided?:

- Getting kids interested and enthusiastic about music

- Inducting kids into the cannon of classical masterworks

- Educating kids abut keys, cadences, intervals and so on

- Learning about famous composers

- Learning how to play the keyboard, glockenspiel etc.

- Letting kids express themselves through composition/improvisation

- Preparing kinds for the rigours of GCSE and A-Level music

- Anything else you can think of.

Discuss.

2. I have no idea anymore. I'm only in my 3rd year of teaching but I have questioned what I'm teaching and what is the correct topic/way to teach so many times that I have unfortunately left my brain totally frazzled. I now have absolutely no idea what the right thing to do is anymore. Something always irks someone else.

I need a book of answers. And some motivation...

3. casper

casper New commenter

Reminds me of my PGCE assignment on Keith Swanick Teaching Music Musically.

4. LennoxBerkeley

LennoxBerkeley New commenter

Dear Florian
    Please, please, please can I come to one of your lessons. They sound fantastic. It's all sex, drugs and gentle analysis.
    Have you ever thought of teaching the National Curriculum while you're at it?
    Lennox