1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching music for MLD and SLD

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by baxterbasics, Nov 12, 2018.

1. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

Hello

There is a local school that is for secondary age pupils, up to the age of 21.

They are desperate for a music teacher, and I have been asked to go in next week to "give it a go".

I have made it plain that although I am a qualified music teacher, I will be learning on the job to some extent, as I have had no experience in that setting, only with EBD kids.

I will be looking all over the internet for ideas and advice and I am willing to prepare as much as possible. I can play multiple instruments.

So I am asking here from anybody who has worked in such settings: what have you seen other music teachers do that seems to work?
    Do you have any other advice? Is there any reading or preparation that you can point me towards?

Many thanks

2. Jo3Grace

Jo3Grace New commenter

Oh you will love it!

Have a look at Sounds of Intent - it's a free resource, and is wonderful for detailing the types of achievements even students with profound and multiple learning disabilities might aim for.

Having a proper musician go in is wonderful, you will get better results than a standard teacher.

Just think about how to convey things if spoken language and written language is less useful - you already have the answer, you're a musician. But I've seen fun things done, like cardboard composition and conducting. You have a number of cardboard shapes in pairs. One is assigned to an instrument, one laid on the floor. The person with the instrument plays when the conductor points to/steps on the card matched to their instrument. The composer/conductor can leap about the shapes of cards exploring the sounds they create, the sounds are created by peers watching closely the 'notation' and the conducting.

Oodles of fun.

Best wishes
    Jo Grace
    The Sensory Projects
    www.thesensoryprojects.co.uk

3. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

Many thanks for the above ideas. It is something I will definitely consider.

I found this resource online as well called "Figurenotes" - the idea being that colours provide a much easier route into notation that is very accessible and more visual.

Not sure if anybody has tried it, or seen in being used successfully?

https://www.figurenotes.org/tutorials/

4. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

It is the first time I have come across 'Figurenotes' (and I have been around quite a while :))

Looks to me like it was designed for your needs:)

https://drakemusicscotland.org/

Thank you. I have learnt something new
    :):)