1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Music at a Hospital School: Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Music' started by jubbliful, May 17, 2011.

1. Hi all

I am observing and co-teaching with someone who is teaching at a Hospital School. It is a very small class, ranging from 6-10 pupils, all secondary age.

My Co worker had his first lesson with them and tried some simple clapping/singing/rhythm activities. However, he said they would not respond or join in with these activities and just sat and watched.

In the next session I observed, and he spent half an hour talking about writing a song for them and getting them to play it. Again they weren't enthused at all. They were reluctant to share thier musical experiences and join in discussions.

I just wondered if anyone has any suggested activities or ways of approaching these sessions? I am just observing at the moment, but would like to try things with them.

Thanks

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

This is not something I know anything about at all. However, I have been in hospital myself and would suggest that if these are kids recovering from major surgery or in remission from serious illnesses, I'm not suprised that they just wanted to sit and watch. I certainly didn't want to respond to activities or even discuss anything much when I was recouperating after a major operation. I just wanted to listen to something very undemanding when I wasn't sleeping.
    Would listening-based activities work better?