1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching money to reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by k_e, Feb 24, 2007.

1. k_e

k_e

Hi I'm in my final placement in a reception class and am trying to teach money (1p/2p/5p). My children are finding it very difficult as they just don't understand that 2p is worth 2 x 1p. I would love some help and fun activities on how to do it. I've already tried a 1p shop where everything is worth 1p, touching each coin for what it is worth and finding money worth the same value rolled on a dice. Please help!!!

2. k_e

k_e

Hi I'm in my final placement in a reception class and am trying to teach money (1p/2p/5p). My children are finding it very difficult as they just don't understand that 2p is worth 2 x 1p. I would love some help and fun activities on how to do it. I've already tried a 1p shop where everything is worth 1p, touching each coin for what it is worth and finding money worth the same value rolled on a dice. Please help!!!

3. Hi, i have just taught money on my final year placement in a reception class. it is so hard! i hid 1p coins in the sand tray and they had to find them and count them up (for my support group) and the next time he middle group did this but included 2p's aswel. I also made a4 seets with a purse drawn on them and got my extension to do coin rubbings. i asked them to put in x amount or pence in my purse, tried to get them doing a few 2p's aswel as 1p's.

To reinforce it being worth 2 1p's i just modelled counting it twice when adding up my coins etc. it is very hard and i think some just won get it yet until it is revisited later on.

Hope this helps a little. and good luck!

Saz xx

4. The concept that 2 pennies is the same value as a 2p coin is very difficult, even for a lot of children in Year 1 when it is introduced.
    Check your NNS because you will find this is beyond what most children in Reception are expected to know. The NNS gives clear activities for learning about money in YR and I think you will find it useful.
    Briefly, children need to learn the language involved in using money, experience using it (pretend shop), recognise different coins, become aware that 2p is worth more than 1p etc. And use money to solve basic problems.
    Hope this helps.

5. sadika

sadika New commenter

It's not an easy one and particularly nowadays when usually they don't handle money for themselves and see plastic cards being used the majority of the time!
    Actually in reception they should be recognising the coins, using them in practical situations to so do, ordering them acording to value etc and the brighter ones could be extended to working out how much 2p and and a 1p etc is worth in total.
    My class were working on coins recently and amongst the activities we played a game describing a hidden coin and working out from the attributes the children described what it was eg silver, small, circle. We talked about what the numbers on the coins meant and I stuck real coins on the hundred square to give them some idea of how many 1p's the other coins were worth. They will need lots of counting on opportunities to start working out the total value of mixtures of coins.

6. k_e

k_e

Thank you for all your help and ideas. I'm prob expecting too much so I'll slow down and set up the role play area so they can use money in a practical way. Thanks again!!!