1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Money to mixed Rec/Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by EmilyW226, Jun 18, 2011.

1. I am going to be teaching some Numeracy/PSRN lessons on money and counting over the next few weeks. For my Year 1 children I will be encouraging them to add up to three amounts together, lower receptions matching coins and more able receptions to be counting two items.
    I would love some ideas on activities I could do with the children that could be linked to the topic of the seaside I have been thinking of a shop activity. Any other suggestions?

2. I am going to be teaching some Numeracy/PSRN lessons on money and counting over the next few weeks. For my Year 1 children I will be encouraging them to add up to three amounts together, lower receptions matching coins and more able receptions to be counting two items.
    I would love some ideas on activities I could do with the children that could be linked to the topic of the seaside I have been thinking of a shop activity. Any other suggestions?

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

An ice cream shop would be perfect. One scoop costs 50p, two scoops £1, a flake for 20p, chocolate sauce for 30p, sprinkles for 10p. Lots of adding up, working out which coins you can use, and giving change.

4. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Could you flip the shop idea on the head and have the children catching and then selling fish to a local shop? You could have some groups using nets, magnets on poles etc and could label the fish with their cost.