1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Money to Mixed Rec/Year 1

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by EmilyW226, Jun 17, 2011.

1. I am going to be teaching some Numeracy/PSRN lessons on money and counting over the next few weeks. I would love some ideas on activities I could do with the children on the theme of the seaside.

2. have you posted on the 'primary' forum?

3. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Slightly off topic but do you know about PFEG?

http://www.pfeg.org/teaching_resources/resources/mmw_prim_pack11.html

My money week is just one example of free resources you can find here. They will also come in and help with curriculum development re. Financial capability. Too late for this year but worth considering for next year.

4. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

I think you need to decide what you want the children to learn first. What do they already understand?
    I would suggest choosing an appropriate objective and use money as a context. If you are counting you could count in 1s/1ps or 2s/2ps etc or look at equivalents i.e. 10p is the same as ...
    Are you looking for ways to link money to the seaside? Which mathematical objective would fit with that? What language/vocabulary are you looking to promote?