1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Money in EYFS (nursery)

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by helen_earlyyears, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Hi all,

I've got an interview for a nursery teacher in an indepenedent school tommorrow and i was going to use money; buying things in a shop. I would keep it very simple, just 1p and 2p. It would be practical which is what they want.

However, I've been looking through the EYFS and can't find any learning objectives about money. Would anyone be kind enough to help? If you've done money what learning objectives have you used from the EYFS?

Thanks.

2. hi i have not taught money to nursery ... what about doing the song 5 currant buns in a bakers shop and use real money to pay for the buns?

3. It might be easier to just use 1p coins and have items costing varying amounts up to 10p. It would be easy then to start from the following objectives and plan around them.

*Problem Solving, Reasoning and Numeracy*

Numbers as Labels and for Counting

30-50 months:
    - Recognise groups with one,
    two or three objects.
    40-60+ months:
    - Count aloud in ones, twos,
    fives or tens.
    - Use developing mathematical
    ideas and methods to solve
    practical problems. (ELG)

Calculating

30-50 months:
    - Show an interest in number
    problems.
    - Separate a group of three or
    four objects in different ways,
    beginning to recognise that the
    total is still the same.
    40-60+ months:
    - Use own methods to work
    through a problem.
    - Select two groups of objects to
    make a given total of objects.
    - In practical activities and
    discussion, begin to use the
    vocabulary involved in adding
    and subtracting. (ELG)

4. Hi,

Conservation of number is a higher order skill for 3-4 year olds. It is part of the curriculum, however depending on the age and experiences of the children, to get them to associate one coin with one amount and another with somethng else is a conceptual leap that they may or may not have made. If I were you I would keep it simple and then differentiate as appropriate on the fly.

Good luck!

5. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

as it is an interview and the children may be unfamiliar with money, I would choose something else.

In my experience the children who are familiar with money are the children who spend more time playing outside and going to the shop. The type of child who may be at an independent school, probably doesnt play out or go to the corner shop.

Why not do something with shape? feely bag with shapes inside, name the shape......simple and effective, you can extend to talk about the properties of the shape

6. Hi, thanks cinerella1,

I have changed my mind and was going to do something with number. Was going to use the EYFS objective: "Sometimes match number and
    quantity correctly."

I have planned to get the children to roll a dice, count the dots then count out that many objects. So if they rolled a five they need to pick 5 say, pencils. Thought it would be practical and a safe option.

What do you think?

7. you got "build a beetle "game or anything like that? My Nursery children love that!

8. Hi,

No im am NQT so don't have that many resources and i don't know what resources the nursery school has.

What did you think of my idea in post 6?

9. I would probably use a puppet who 'gets it wrong' and the children can correct it, and use something like dinosaurs or animals or cars or something unusual instead of pencils so that the children are motivated to count. You could use the water - children have to fish that many objects out or something similar in the sand. Good luck

10. Absolutely no reason when you think about it that nursery children should ´'learn' about money, nor are the maths objectives any more real to their prime interests and concerns. Tell a story, read a recipe, write a shopping list,look at the money in your wallet, see if you´ve got enough, look at the money, buy something, cook it, invite others, make picture record of it in a recipe book. In other words real life. Independent school or not they don´t need 'artificial' under six, keep focused on early years sound sense teaching. Somewhere we´ve got to realise we´re getting it wrong from early on, it isn´t about academics at all. If you´ve got to do that make sure you and they know that it is artificial and is not good teaching but is what you are doing under the circumstances. Unless you thik it is the best?