1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching MFL in EYFS and KS1

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by sammallerston, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Hi
    I would like to hear from anyone who has had experience of teaching MFL (especially French) in EYFS or KS1 and how successful/unsuccessful you have found it.
    Do you have any tips on how to introduce it to these age groups or would you not recommend it (and why?)
    Thanks

2. Hi
    I would like to hear from anyone who has had experience of teaching MFL (especially French) in EYFS or KS1 and how successful/unsuccessful you have found it.
    Do you have any tips on how to introduce it to these age groups or would you not recommend it (and why?)
    Thanks

3. I am a secondary trained French teacher who is currently working in partnership with local primaries. I teach French to both EYFS and KS1 with the help of a hand puppet. I introduced him from the very first lesson and the children love him. Whenever we practise new vocabulary we pass the puppet around the class and they get to tell him what their name is/ favourite colour/animal etc. I teach each class for around 20 minutes each. I also use lots of flashcards which can be used for games.
    I have found that the children love learning French and they are very keen to learn more. I am very lucky that the class teachers are very supportive and practice the vocabulary with the class during the week when I am not there. This keeps the children motivated and they soak it up like sponges.

Hope that helps [​IMG]

4. That's great. Thank you very much.
    Having taught the different age groups, would you say that starting early is definitely an advantage for later years and if so why?

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

They tend to be much less self conscious when they are younger, as they are more used to not being able to do things and just having a go.

6. I have been teaching MFL including French, German, Spanish and Japanese to children in the EYFS from as early as 3 years old. I too use puppets in addition to singing songs, looking at picture books, playing simple games, CD roms, etc. The children are very enthusiastic about it.

7. oh, I didn't answer your query. I do apologise. I taught my son French from about the age of 18 months. He is now 13 and speaks very acceptable conversational French and Spanish, more than enough to get along independently in France and Spain.

8. May I know if you have a set of tracking/ assessment system for this age group ? Do you mind sharing ?

I'm now teaching Mandarin in Early Years and struggling to assess these children. Thanks.