1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching MFL in Australia (Victoria)

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by holarobb, Jan 19, 2020.

  1. holarobb

    holarobb New commenter

    Hello everyone,

    I completed ITT in June 2019. The whole purpose of completing the course was of course, to find a full-time teaching job at a secondary school in England.

    However, due to lack of opportunities in my area of England, I have had to complete long-term supply teaching MFL which includes planning and marking just as a normal full-time teacher does.

    The ultimate aim is to move back to Australia, having previously spent 5 years living there up until 2018. Does supply teaching count as relevant teaching experience? Or does the countdown start when I actually have a school contract that states I work full-time? I currently have long-term supply but I am paid by the agency.

    Would a letter from the agency showing a list of schools worked at and dates of employment suffice? I am half tempted to call AITSL and ask them personally.

    I feel like I may be clutching at straws here.

    Thanks in advance.
  2. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

  3. Chemteacher01

    Chemteacher01 New commenter

    You don’t actually need any post teaching experience to qualify as skilled with AITSL and you don’t need your NQT either as NQT is predominately just a british thing..

    However, do you have a visa for Australia already? If not.. then you’re in for a tough ride. You’ll need to apply for state sponsorship and probably on a 491 visa which is a regional one. Many states require a job offer first and that’s difficult to get from overseas
  4. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    Supply teaching counts too, you will just have to have a lot of very clear evidence of this. At the moment, the minimum you'll need for an independent visa is:

    10+ Years experience
    Masters or PhD (PhD preferable in a nominated STEM category)
    Be Single or have a wife who is also on the skill list
    Between 22 and 35ish

    For a sponsored visa you would need to find a school willing to sponsor you. Send a few emails out to remote location schools and see what they say (don't bother with schools in larger towns or cities - they're never going to sponsor you)
  5. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

  6. holarobb

    holarobb New commenter

    Hi everyone,

    Thank you so much for your replies, it really means a lot to me.

    I called VIT (Victorian Equivalent of TRA) and they assured me that supply teaching does count. They did keep stressing that I would need a minimum of 45 days supervised teaching, which my university-led PGCE offered me.

    Everything seems a bit clearer now.

    Thank you all once again :)
  7. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    Don't waste any money getting your qualifications assessed by AITSL until you've got a job offer. It's quite expensive £500+ and there's no need to get it done before you've even had interest from a school

Share This Page