1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching MFL abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by sm5399, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Dear all,
    I have a degree in French and Spanish (1st, University of Bristol, 2009) and am thinking of doing my PGCE next year. Once I have that, have done my NQT year and another couple of years in the UK, I'm keen to go abroad. I speak fluent French and Spanish and have intermediate German. Having done some research into places I'd like to live (Australia, New Zealand, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Portugal, France, Spain - particularly Barcelona, Belgium, Netherlands), it seems that:
    - New Zealand would be fine, public and private schools.
    - Australia on the East coast would also be fine, public and private schools, but most states except Victoria have a central authority that places teachers in public schools, rather than being able to apply to a particular school. On the West coast there doesn't seem a great need for language teachers.
    - Switzerland would be fine, public and private schools.
    - Germany would be fine in some states re public schools, but some states again have a central education employment agency. Also fine re private schools.
    - Spain would be fine re private schools (does one need to be Catholic?).
    - Other option would be international schools.
    Can anyone comment on the above (and on the rest of the countries I've listed - I know the PGCE is basically useless in France) please, maybe from personal experience?
    Re international schools, do they only employ staff short-term, on contracts of say 2 years, or is it possible to get a permanent post? Are British-trained teachers accepted in American international schools?
    Realistically, how easy / hard is it to get a job as an MFL teacher in an international school in Europe?
    Would the GTP be recognised by international schools?
    If the government puts up the PGCE fees, is it a good idea to do an equivalent elsewhere, eg in Oz?
    Many thanks in advance,
    Sarah

2. Only last week did someone ask a question on here about teaching MFL. https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/514689.aspx