1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching MFL 6th Form with another school via video conferencing

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by spsmith45, Sep 11, 2011.

1. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

No expertise to share yet, but we are doing something similar for AS Spanish using some software called (I think) Illuminate. My colleague is more closely involved than me. A couple of test sessions seemed to go OK, according to students.

2. Hi

I taught via video conferencing about two years ago - I made a similar appeal for thoughts and advice and didn't get many replies - i think it was because not many people were doing it at the time.

I had a very similar set up once a fortnight i had a two hour lesson (in the flesh) with my pupils and the pupils from our conferencing school and a one hour lesson via VC. I used to do oral and listening work during the face to face lessons and reinforce grammar during the VC lessons. There is a slight delay when people are talking so you have to be very patient and make sure the other person has finished speaking. I did use Moodle to create a course for the pupils so that if they missed any work they would be able to access it outside of the lesson.

From a technical point of view our conferencing school had a member of staff in the room, unfortunately they had placed a language teacher in there, this led to pupils asking her for help and not listening. On the whole it got better and easier as we went along but at times i Felt like i was giving out eurovision scores when i was calling out Year 12 can you hear me Frau P calling can you hear me!!!

Viel Glück !!