1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching & mental wellness on frontline

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by Ro13, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

Our school is one those open. It's an independent primary with many keyworker parents. I'm in most days.

I'm actually struggling in a way I didn't think I would. Though we only have 12 to 20 children in, trying to make sure they do not sit close to each other, stopping them from hugging each other & even me, is exhausting mentally, more so than normal teaching!!

Also we are putting together home packs for children at home & yet we still are getting parents complain!!

Is anyone else out there on frontline in school & how are you feeling?

2. crumbleskates

crumbleskates Occasional commenter

Yes, everyone is under a lot of strain. Separate the children to smaller groups in say 3 classroom spaces. Agree a timetable for outside space/ cloakroom lunch. Give each child a stationery kit. Try not to share resources. Although staff can be on a rota make sure the same staff do the same group overall . Ask parents to hand over at a distance on playground. Do not allow home food in. Any ill child with anything to be at home. Wash playground balls. Have a spare person in on Monday to set out all resources in a room nearby to use during the week. Change your clothes on arrival home and wash them and you. Don’t spend all night doing emails. Go for your once a day walk, listen to music, play a game with your family. Organise a cleaning regime and rota for door handles, work surfaces etc. Talk to someone about your feelings. Don’t think about too far ahead, just one day at a time. Use a helpline if you need to. Watch a light hearted film. It will be hard, it will get better. Tell yourself how amazing you are.

3. SpideyClaire

SpideyClaire New commenter

We are asking all children to bring a packed lunch as we have closed the kitchen.

4. thecre8tiveresources

thecre8tiveresources New commenter

5. Robak1991

Robak1991 New commenter

I am so sorry to hear that. People still complaining? I am shocked that some can be so petty and imho actually disgusting. It is national emergency, actually it is world wide crisis and people lack decency just to give you a break. I am really impressed with you and your resilience. Putting yourself and family members at risk to care for children of people who think so little of what you are doing.

You should get a round of applause not criticism!!!

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  6. Ro13

7. Ro13

Thank you that meant so much. I'm very lucky in that I live alone, so I'm only risking my own health not my lovely family, as both my children are adults.

But thank you for the kind words.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  8. Ro13

Same here Claire, our children have to bring packed lunch in. :(

9. Ro13

I live alone in a studio flat, but my saving grace is my little balcony. I have been playing online games with my adult children. I'm 57 so considering that I've never, in my long teaching career, had to teach like this, I am adapting.

Our children bring in their own stationery, we are allowing siblings to stay together so that little ones have some reassurance. Our children bring in packed lunches as school does not have a kitchen. We are a small prep school, so a lot of above advice is hard.

We are relatively upbeat & yesterday we were down to 9 children.

All your advice is logical advice, but not quite so easy when parents, of children, not in school, expect school packs sent home from a school that promotes older style teaching & those, same, parents chose because they wanted their child to be exposed to as little technology as possible!! But obviously, if the school does not provide packs, this parents will not pay fees & then I have another worry on my shoulders. I know others are in same boat.

My head, who owns the school, is trying to get Zoom started so that we can start online schooling for the children who are not in school.

10. crumbleskates

So sorry to hear this. Are there enough staff to be on a rota so you get some time off?

11. letsbe

letsbe New commenter

12. Ro13

We are all taking turns teaching & when not, we manage to sit in school garden to unwind. ♥️

letsbe likes this.
  13. Ro13

Hard for teachers to wear protective clothing as can scare the youngest children. Very hard to balance, what is logical to what comes naturally to most teachers, caring for welfare of our children :(

14. letsbe

letsbe New commenter

Ro13

I am so sorry you are having such a rough time. Please remember that just because you live on your own it does not mean you should be taking greater risks. I'm sure you have family and friends who want to see you safe and well. Keep taking breaks, prep with hand cream for the awful hand sanitiser and try not to let the moaners get you down.

Lala24 and Catgirl1964 like this.
  15. crumbleskates

How are you feeling?

16. grahamfrost

grahamfrost New commenter

I don't know if this is appropriate as I am not a teacher, but I would like to say as a normal member of the public, if there is such a thing, that what you are all doing is completely amazing. I hope you are told that sincerely on a regular basis by your leaders, but if you are not, tell yourselves, and tell each other.

Lalad, Lala24 and Ro13 like this.
  17. zondacat

zondacat New commenter

I hope your SLT are supporting you. I wrote a very strongly worded letter to a parent who complained and said that my staff would no longer deal with her. She has to come to me if she wants anything- luckily she’s got the message not to mess with me!

Ro13 and sonirra like this.
  18. sonirra

sonirra New commenter

I saw that advice from the NEU but it will be quite a task to follow and implement without risking more lives. We have 4 kids coming into our school but the computers are set up so close to each other, no masks or gloves for us and trying to social distance is getting difficult..we are expected to interact and play with the kids outside whilst keeping 2m distance..

19. Ro13

As of Friday 3rd, my school had to close due to down to two teachers, one being me, and 7 children. I will be teaching remotely shortly.

Hope everyone else is coping xx