1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Maths with a Civil Engineering Degree

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by jake4198, Apr 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. jake4198

jake4198 New commenter

Hello.

I am about to graduate with a degree in civil engineering, and after exploring my options, teaching maths at secondary level has a lot of appeal to me.

However, I am wondering whether this would be possible without a first degree in mathematics.

I know a lot of PGCE programmes offer SKE courses for those without a first degree in maths, but would not having a maths degree put me at a disadvantage when applying for jobs direct with schools?

I did 60 credits of a maths degree before switching to civil engineering. I also have a grade B in A-Level maths , a grade D in AS-Level further maths, and two A*s in GCSE maths and further maths.

Thanks for your advice. It's muchly appreciated.

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

It's almost certain that you've done more than enough maths as part of your degree. I don't know what colleges south of the border look for, but when i trained in scotland I had to provide a statement/transcipt from my university to demonstrate that my physics degree contained enough maths - and of course it did. If you're not sure, get in touch with one of the teaching colleges you are considering and ask them just to be certain.

And, there is enough of a shortage of good maths teachers that no school should be turning their noses up at an engineering degree. You can even play on it as a positive - you have first hand knowledge of some of the practical applications of maths.

jake4198 likes this.
  3. gainly

gainly Senior commenter

I'm sure there would be enough maths in your degree. A friend of mine is head of maths in a London school with an engineering degree.

4. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Yes, go for it. Very few providers insist on a Maths degree, and with an engineering degree you probably won't need to do SKE as long as you have an A Level in Maths and it wasn't 40 years ago. Don't forget to register with Get Into Teaching and you get a Premier Plus advisor who can help you with your application. https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/