1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching maths- trainee teacher needing advice please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, Mar 29, 2011.

1. I've looked online for ideas and drawn on the NC but I don't know how far I should be going into the topic or how much I should be covering so if someone can advise me, that would be great. I've only taught younger children before so teaching year 5 is completely new to me. Problem solving approaches are provided frequently at my school so I'll need to incorporate that into my planning. Hope to get lots of advice.

2. Wow I'd be thrilled with a Y5 class that fell 3c-4c, mine range from 1c to 4b!

3. As ever the best thing you could do is to get your layered target must could and should and work backwards. this is how all units should be planned. By the end of the week/unit on shape and symmentry what do I want the children to be able to do? This is a clarity which some teachers still dont have-by looking at end of unit statements this will help you to plan a progressive set of lessons which move on from each other seemlessly both day to day and ability to ability

4. I can understand why people would be shocked about me not knowing what the levels mean and I'm not in my first year. I found out myself and now understand them. I had a very successful placement last year but my teacher did not tell me the level the kids were working at, despite me asking and it's not something that's been covered yet at university. That's why it seems new to me.

5. But obviously I recognise that it's my responsibility to read up on things I'm not sure about and I should've done this before now.

6. http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/search/results/nav%3A49914

have directed my BA QTS student here as she also seemed to have no ideas as to how to pitch the lesson for my year group. What are these universities charging tuition fees for?