1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching maths to year 1/2 HELP...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rugby_gal06, Dec 31, 2011.

1. I am currently teaching a low ability maths set who are working at year 1/2 levels.
    I had them before half term for a bit, so I have a good idea of their abilities and their levels.
    I have 10 children working within L1 and 6 children working within L2.
    How do I go about delivering the input and getting them to meet the objectives relevant to them?
    I have no TA support so alternating activities between the TA and myself isn't an option. The children require a lot of individual attention, so guided working in groups isn't an option either.
    Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

How old are these children? Ten children at level 1 and six at level 2 sounds like a dream group for many teachers. A narrow ability band and a very small group.

Children working at this level in maths are more than capable of working independently. I know this because I have a similar group in my class, along with fourteen other children with abilities from P6 to 3c. If you can target the work and tasks to their ability and maturity then you can certainly have group and independent working. Children only require a lot attention if the work isn't really suitable for them.

http://www.year2maths.co.uk/other/other.htm

Has lots of ideas and links to IWB games.

Other than that look at the NC for level 1 and 2 and base your lessons around objectives from there. Click on the 'supporting document' link in the site below for a file that gives you the sublevels expanded to enable easy choice of objectives.

https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/learning/west_sussex_grid_for_learning/curriculum/mathematics/primary_mathematics/assessment/progression_through_sublevels.aspx

The input I would say needs to be fast paced and practical, as does the mental starter. It also needs to be at or just below their ability to enable them to experience success from the start of the lesson and so be enthusiastic about carrying on.

3. Thanks for the advice minnieminx. The children are Y4 with lots of SEN in the group.
    I have a few who can work independently and the majority who need regular attention to stay on task.

4. Thanks for the advice minnieminx. The children are Y4 with lots of SEN in the group.
    I have a few who can work independently and the majority need regular attention to stay on task.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Then I would definitely say the task is inappropriate.

6. char2505

char2505 New commenter

If the special educational need is attention deficit disorder or autism related then I think it is entirely reasonable that they need lots of attention even when the work is pitched appropriately!

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If it is ADHD and ASD related there should be classroom strategies in place

8. char2505

char2505 New commenter

I would imagine that there are, but I'm sure we are all aware that whichever strategies we put in place children with these forms of special educational needs will still need support to stay on task.

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Then the OP needs to look at the strategies so that the children do stay on task ADHD and ASD doesn't mean that children will automatically need constant adult attention which is a bad strategy (and I'm sure not one the OP would use)

10. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Not constant adult attention, no, but surely more than a class of children with no special educational needs. It has been my experience that ONE of the main reasons that children with special educational needs are given additional adult support is due to the need for this. Otherwise surely the class teacher cold provide for their educational and personal, social and emotional needs in the same way as any other member of the class. Anyway, I don;t think that I am adding anything of particular use the the original poster, so shall hand the thread over to others. x.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Surely the fact there is no TA in the class would imply that the children in the class do not have significant behaviour SEN to the extent they CANNOT work independently?

This group do have additional adult support in the sense there is only 16 children, so they do get far more teacher time than in a group of 30.