1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Maths/Physics in South America - Questions

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MathsTeacherAbroad, Aug 14, 2019.

1. MathsTeacherAbroad

MathsTeacherAbroad New commenter

Hello everyone,

I am interested in teaching Maths/Physics in South America. I have a little bit of a strange situation perhaps, so could I please ask some specific questions?

About me: I am a 28 year-old female teacher from the UK. I graduated in Mechanical Engineering, and am currently teaching Maths/Physics at a private school in Bangkok, Thailand. I have done this for three years.

Now the next part, I don't wish to go deep into my personal history, but I fear it's relevant. In short, I have been outside of the UK for seven years. I won't return home as I grew up in a very abusive family. I left home at eighteen when I went to University. Then I left the UK at 21.

Long story short, I won't go back to the UK under any circumstances, thus the PGCE is not an option (I absolutely don't wish to create a sob story, just I need to be clear that I really can't do the PGCE in England)

I'm looking at South America (for reasons that I won't bore you with!)

1) Which is the best possible teaching qualification that would get me into International Schools/Private schools? (2nd, even 3rd tier is OK)
    1b) Would the PGCEi from Sunderland be sufficient? or the Teach Now qualification? I'm happy to pay more to get the best one possible that can be done abroad
    2) Does anyone know how I could get contacted by South American employers? besides LinkedIn, Seriousteachers, the obvious ones
    3) Would international schools there hire a female teacher? (On some job sites I saw they asked for male candidates specifically)

Thank you for your help,

Kind regards,
    Valery

2. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Sent you a Converstaion

MathsTeacherAbroad likes this.
  3. Duraz

Duraz New commenter

In Colombia you do not need a teaching qualification (such as a PGCE) in order to get a visa, you just have to have a degree. So I would imagine that a degree, a few years of relevant experience teaching maths and physics, plus a PGCEi would make you a fairly well qualified candidate.

A female would most certainly be employed. There's no issue with that at all.

Many schools here teach the IB curriculum. The link below shows all the IB schools in the region. So you could just contact them directly.

http://www.ibo.org/programmes/find-an-ib-school/

Another option would be to go through a recruitment agency but you might find that some would only accept UK candidates with a PGCE (although I'm not sure about that).

Finally, I would say that a second, or third tier school here wouldn't really be ok. The salaries at the top schools aren't that great. In a third tier you would be struggling to get by.

MathsTeacherAbroad likes this.
  4. MathsTeacherAbroad

MathsTeacherAbroad New commenter

Thank you, I really appreciate your responses

Interesting. It seems like the PGCEi with Sunderland could be the sensible middle ground, to try and get into a second-tier school which will pay enough to get by

Would this be a better qualification than the Teach Now?

I'm more than happy to do a teaching qualification, cost wouldn't be a factor. It's more which one gives greater employment chances

Once again, thank you both. I was terrified I'd get shot down like I do on thaivisa forum