1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching maths and English gcse

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by rebeckyj, Apr 29, 2019.

1. rebeckyj

rebeckyj New commenter

So I was thinking of teaching. However, I don't have maths GCSE. It's never been an issue before. I left school a long time ago, and I was told that this would not be a problem, as i went on to study maths at A-level within my B-Tec in college. This then got me into to to university. I have been twice; have 2 degrees both which involved maths at a higher standard.
    My first degree involved finance, accounts, economics, global economics and statistics.
    I wrote a dissertation on work based learning and have mentored maths and English students. I also, taught English for approx 2yrs and have a TEFL.
    However, now i' told i cant teach as i dont have maths gcse!? Which sounds absolutely absurd..I could understand if i had just left school, had no FE qualifications or had an arts degree; or one without any maths. Maybe I should hold the government accountable for mis selling me the B-Tec all those years ago.
    I know I may have to do a ske which is acceptable to give me upto date, in depth subject knowledge.
    To return and complete a GCSE seems absolutely ridiculous to me. I mean I didn't sit the sats, do i need to go back and take that aswell?. I keep reading that the gov. are short of maths teachers and no wonder. Now, I may not have maths GCSE but I know supply and demand, and it would appear that they need teachers more than we perhaps need to teach... Maybe they should go back and do the math.
    Can anyone advise me on this please or tell me of their experiences, thank you

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

It's not too late to sit GCSE as a private candidate this year.
    Contact your local school and ask if it's possible. Find out which board you want to do, print off a practice paper or two and you're good to go.
    Regardless of the absurdity you find in your situation, you can fix it for under £100.

rebeckyj and Pomza like this.
  3. catbanj

catbanj Occasional commenter

Bonkers I know but that's how it is if you want to work in a state school. As lila said, it's easy fixed. Your local college may be able to accommodate you even with only 3 weeks to go to the exams. Good luck getting it sorted.

rebeckyj likes this.
  4. rebeckyj

rebeckyj New commenter

Thankyou for your replies. However, it's also the principle, I know of teachers teaching in FE that don't even have a degree. The pre÷requisite qualifications for pgce and teaching, should be in place to set a standard level requirement and a status quo. If applicants have studied above the required level in that subject matter, they should not have to go back to school to do a resit.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I quite understand where you are coming from, but what people have said is correct. If you wanted advice, as you said, then that is what you have got. If you are just wanting to discuss the principle, then I think a lot of people would agree with you, but that is not what you said in your post. For what it is worth, you are probably quite unusual in having higher level Maths qualifications but not a GCSE (or O-level), so I doubt if they are losing many Maths teachers this way. As has been pointed out, it is an easy problem to fix.

Pomza likes this.
  6. rebeckyj

rebeckyj New commenter

Thanks,for your input fishy..i didnt disagree with the advice and info they offered and i thanked them for it. However, I disagree with you though. There are many that will have studied a Btec with Alevel maths included that didnt pass gcse maths with grade c. Some people may have gone to college and uni without any gcse maths/English. As I said there are teachers teaching subjects they didn't study at uni or a-level.

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

You might be right. To be honest, I had not realised that a BTEC would include A level Maths. If that is the case, it would be reasonable to say that it be treated the same as having a GCSE, but the state system is notoriously inflexible. However, the private system is not, so perhaps you could try to find an independent school where you could train. I don't know how that works, but I do know that some of them take teachers without formal teaching qualifications if they think they have the requisite skills. Perhaps somebody in the private sector could advise.

rebeckyj likes this.
  8. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Well, that's just plainly ridiculous! But as said earlier; just enter yourself right now. You'll be surprised at how easy it is. Do report back; I predict grade 9.

rebeckyj likes this.
  9. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Weird though, I thought you had to have English and Maths GCSE or equivalent to get into uni. That's why colleges and 6th form make you resit whilst studying level 3 quals.
    Anyway it isn't a big deal as I said before, just take the GCSE.

10. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

Often, FE college teachers/lecturers do so as 'unqualified' teachers.

rebeckyj likes this.
  11. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

From the "Get into Teaching" website.
    GCSEs or their standard equivalent
    You’ll need to demonstrate GCSE grade C / 4 (or standard equivalent) in maths and English - and a science subject for primary trainees. If you don’t meet this entry criteria, your training provider may ask you to sit a GCSE, equivalency test, or offer other evidence to demonstrate your ability.

This suggests you can argue your case on the basis that you have the equivalent.

rebeckyj likes this.
  12. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

Both you and the pupils, would benefit from you passing, a GCSE in Mathematics.

13. rebeckyj

rebeckyj New commenter

Yes, it was nonsense, the particular adviser i spoke to was wrong. I have maths at a-level standard and beyond ; therefore more than the equivalent to gcse. I can teach, I've since spoken to more advisers and have spoken to others before her; who said the total opposite. I thought it sounded to ridiculous to be true. Thanks for your comments and positivity. Perhaps i should go for an adviser role instead ;)

agathamorse likes this.
  14. rebeckyj

rebeckyj New commenter

irs1054 makes perfect sense.

agathamorse likes this.